Bermuda Bells

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bermuda Bells
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

I had an old car and had a Bermuda Bell on the Floorboard. Where would I find one? Are there different sounds?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

eBay. The sounds are about the same. The later ones are aluminum and the earlier are nickel plate over steel. Either way they sound about the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

They do appear at eBay - not cheap though..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BERMUDA-BELL-2002-/151730767289
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-BERMUDA-CARRIAGE-BELL-Bermuda-Shop-Madison-Ave-N ew-York-hot-rod-ford-/111748062248

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

I sold my 36 Plymouth with the Bermuda bell complete with a "wrecking yard fresh" rear axle assembly to be installed, all for $30. I did not realize the return I could of had on my $7 investment if I had just removed the bell and kept it on a shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

I have a Bermuda bell in my '22 Coupe and the children love it. When I let them sit in the Coupe and they ring it once and smile, then they keep ringing it until their parents yank them out of the car. Adults like it too but some don't want to admit it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

That would be a good item to reproduce. I have a couple of them but with the prices they are bringing on T-bay someone could make some money with a quality reproduction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

They definitely sound different depending on make and style. I have a newer aluminum one, and a very early nickel plated brass one. The early brass one is very loud crisp sound and holds its tone for a very long time compared to the newer aluminum one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/128544.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Dan, I know someone posted about building one, maybe with an old brake drum and a striker. May have been on a different forum a few years back...I have thought about making something for the hack/huckster I am working on...JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 01:10 am:

Somewhere I have a Sparton Bermuda bell I inherited from my dad. It's electric with a nickeld "bell." Just goes "ding-ding-ding-. . ."
If I knew where i put it, I'd post a photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:30 am:

I had one on my 52 Ford Vicky. Last I heard it was when it came apart going down the Jersey Turnpike about 1958.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:33 am:

This post seems to be a bunch of old men that are discussing a dingy thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Or old men having fond memories of past times.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Then too, they are illegal in most states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Jim -- I think that when they're on an antique car, they're "grandfathered in." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

The old men or the bells?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Harrington on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Where do you mount the Bermuda Bell? It seems too pretty to bury under the floor boards, but too hard to operate with your hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

For those that are curious to the sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOB7MjSG3o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

They may be illegal in many States but so are blue dots, exhaust cutouts, or exhaust whistles. I would bet that 99.9% of the officers on the street now have no idea what any of these are, or that they are illegal. On top of that those that do know what they are don't care about them on an antique car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

I put an ad on the other website for a new old stock Cooper exhaust cutout and noted that it was illegal in most states.

The ad was removed the same day.

You might do better with the Bermuda bell.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration