Replacement seal only- for Model T Neoprene outer grease seals for rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Replacement seal only- for Model T Neoprene outer grease seals for rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

I have accumulated a number of Model T Neoprene outer grease seals for rear axle (see pic).

The vendors all sell the seal assembly as a kit but I have been unable to find a vendor that sells only the replacement neoprene seal, less the alum housing.

Has anyone on the forum been able to cross the number to a seal only that can be purchased at a local parts store??

seal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

John , Try Kaman Bearing. They will most likely have them. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

You got a cross reference number?
That's the problem. I went to 2 bearing stores this morning. The seal has a part number on it that is not listed in their charts.

Without me knowing a substitute number that they can pulled from the shelf nobody wants to research a $5 part.

So the only alternative is to pay $36 and shipping for the kit from a T parts vendor. Or, go felt.

I called Langs earlier and they would not divulge any info. Its a secret, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

See this older thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/336765.html?1363556145
Chicago Rawhide CR 9894 for the type I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

John - What is the number on the bad seal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Why not use the seal dimensions and a seal catalog on the Internet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

JD- The Number is NAK TC 26 40 7 1
I put spaces as they are spaced on the seal.

numbers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

As Ted said, my local bearing supplier just measures up the dimensions and Bob's your uncle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

NAK is a Chinese seal manufacturer. TC is a double lip seal with a garter spring, the id is 26 mm and the od is 40 mm.

Amazon has them, your local bearing house probably does also, just ask a different clerk next time.

Product Details
AVX Shaft Oil Seal TC 26x40x7 Rubber Covered Double Lip With Garter Spring
by AVXSeals
$3.64+ $5.48 shipping
More Buying Choices
$3.64new(2 offers)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Can also get them from Grainger, part# 36LX10. A little more money at $6.27, but it is another source at least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

This is incredibly useful information, thanks, everyone! jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

That's what I was looking for, Ted. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Great info. many thanks all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:18 am:

FWIW, I was taught to fill the gap, where the garter spring is, with grease before installing this type of seal. That prevents the spring from jumping out of place when driving the seal in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:56 am:

I agree with Ted & Chad.
A couple more part numbers for reference:

TCM (Dichtomatik) PN: 26X40X7TC

SKF (Chicago Rawhide) PN: 10183

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration