Nice Canadian '16 on eBay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Nice Canadian '16 on eBay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

This car has a lot of nice things about it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-brass-/111780647556?forcerrptr=true&hash=it em1a06a55284&item=111780647556

Stromberg OF carb, set of five wire wheels, and a door for the driver!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

what would the value of this be Royce?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Rob,

I hate to say - it looks very authentic except for the upholstery being leather instead of leatherette. That does not seem like a value hurting fact.

I don't know if there are many other Canadian 1915 - 16 cars around. This is the only one I have seen for sale ever. To me it appears a far better car than the '15 that is also on eBay right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Nice, a couple of extra screws in the hood former but other than that, a very straight T.
Royce,
zoom in on the diff and you will see it has the low filler plug!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

If I was looking for another T I would bid on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

20 to 35 years ago, there was a really nice '15 Canadian touring around the San Francisco Bay Area. I saw it a couple times, but I never really knew anyone that owned it. It was for sale and sold a couple times during those years. I never had the money, or I might have considered it. I haven't heard anything about it in years.
This one looks very nice also. I plan to not say anything bad about it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

There was a real nice 15 and 16 on the Poor Boy Tour this year. They were as correct as they could be, and they ran extremely well too. The 15 was a Canadian with the four doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 06:34 am:

A coworker had a Canadian '16 with wire wheels when he worked with me in Dearborn me back in the eighties. He retired to Fort Collins and took his cars with him. Now I'm wondering if this is his car. The phrase in the description "restored in the eighties" make me wonder.

He was also the guy who sold me his '16 project after he found the restored Canadian car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:33 am:

Frank,

Makes me wonder if Canadian cars got the low filler plug earlier than the USA cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

What would be a reasonable price for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

A T like that would be worth around $30,000 in Australia which would be around $21,000US

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Royce, That is what I think, but I do not claim to know.
What I know, is that I have '15ish USA housings: Smooth backing plates, enclosed spool, high (even) fill.
I have what I understand to be '16 to '18ish USA housings: Ribbed backing plates, enclosed spool, high (even) fill.
I have what I understand to be '18/'19 USA housings: Ribbed backing plates, enclosed spool, low (offset) fill.
And I have what I understand to be 1920 to '24? USA housings: Ribbed backing plates, open spool, low (offset) fill.

So the progression as I understand it in the USA seems to be:
'13/'14 were 12 rivet pumpkin.
Early calendar '15 changed to later style pumpkin.
'16ish, changed to ribbed backing plate.
'18ish, changed to low fill (uneven).
'20ish, changed to open spool.

I do not have, but have had and have seen a few housings that have a different, later looking, brake cam and bushing setup. There is no bushing, drilled straight into the backing plate, and had a single rivet on the arm instead of a pair of rivets. They appear to be later, and I don't see many of them, so I would speculate they may be about 1925?? Pure speculation on my part.

What do you think Royce? Am I close? I also suspect the Canadian sequence may be quite different. A lot of changes were different for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Why are so many Canadian cars left hand drive? Why wouldn't they be right hand drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Dave, why would they be right hand drive? We drive on the right side of the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Dave,
In the earlier days of the Model T the east and west coast provinces used RHD while central Canada used LHD. Canada did not go to LHD standard country wide until about 1912

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:40 am:

Jamie

Canada is part of the British Empire and they drive on the left. I think they have changed due to the influence of the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:57 am:

I believe only BC and Nova Scotia drove on the left side of the road. In BC we changed over to driving on the right side of the road in 1922. Model T's sold in BC were RHD until the late teens. I say this because starter RHD hogsheads don't seem to be around here at all. Aluminum and cast iron non starter RHD hogsheads show up from time to time. I have a few of them. In Alberta and the other provinces except Nova Scotia, the T's sold were always left hand drive right from the start.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 03:21 am:

Jamie, you Canadians drive on the wrong side of the road. The right side is the left side.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Wayne,

Rip Van Winkle follows your theory.

It was built in June of 1917. The rear axle has the external reinforcements, with the high mounted filler plug.

Body and engine dates show us the time that the parts were married:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 10:40 am:

There was recently a long discussion on the forum about this.

My 'unrestored May '17 roadster has one of each housing - one with a reinforcement ribbed backing plate and one non-ribbed backing plate and they are high boss/high filler plug. Over the years, I have seen this on quite a few 1917 Fords here in Minnesota - cars with known histories and not "put-togethers."

The backing plates on both housings of my dad's July '17 touring have reinforcement ribs, same as the June '17 Rip Van Winkle touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Thank you Royce and Erik J. It appears I may need to adjust 1916 a bit to be more like 1915. Another minor change that I did not include is the wheel side of the backing plate. Some '15/'16 housings have the simple cross ribs like earlier 12 rivet housings had. Others have radiating ribs like later housings have. Probably, earlier '15s used the earlier version while later '15s and '16/early '17 used that later variation but with smooth side backing plates. I wonder how many other changes may have been used and when? Ford of course usually had a considerable crossover time where both the earlier and the later variations of parts would be used on different (and sometimes even the same) cars.
As some people say, "How can we restore our cars exactly correct when Ford never made them that way?" A lot of these little details will likely never be totally worked out. But I still would like to see the housings, headlamps, wheel fellies, body sheet metal changes, and other things figured better than they currently are known. My '15 runabout is going to be a long ways from perfect. But I want as many of the details as year correct as I can get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Allan,

The Jamaican's say that " the right side is suicide"....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

I always thought the lettered pedals is a 1914 feature while the brass trimmed cowl and headlights is a 1915 feature. My 1915 of long known history has ribbed pedals which was changed to smooth pedals when the 1916's came out. What gives?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

David, it took till 1925 for smooth pedals to be introduced on the Canadian sourced cars imported into Australia. We have one year of smooth pedals, USA has one year of ribbed pedals. Go figure!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:43 am:

According to the book “Faces of Ford, The Windsor Years” 1993, Ford of Canada began producing their own transmissions on 6/1/14. Perhaps they had the tooling to make the pedals around then and didn't want to create new tooling to change the pedals for quite a while.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration