1917 Ambulance is finished!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1917 Ambulance is finished!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Here are some pics of the Ambulance I've been working on. It will be going to the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, leaving here on Monday.

Gus Bryngelson built this body and posted pics of it here, along with another one he also built, a while back. I drove to Gus' place in Idaho a month ago and picked up the body. I brought it back to my shop and put it onto a chassis I had been building since the Spring. It's finally ready to go, and I drove it around the neighborhood for a while this evening. I intend to drive it some more the next few days to get some miles on it before delivering it to the Museum. They are having a WW-I Air Show on 3 October, and it needs to be there for that. I expect to get it there two whole days early! :-) Here are the pics:

amb

a2

a3

a4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Mike, looks great! You're serious about not having a radiator hose leak aren't you!?! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Way to go Mike! What is your next project?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Ahead of schedule and I can't see the rip in the canvas... LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Tim -- I'm using the method of radiator hose clamp installation I learned from John Regan years ago here on the forum. Put the "correct" hose clamps in the center of the hose temporarily and use modern clamps to seal the hoses near the ends. The modern ones make a better seal then the older type. In a week or so, you can remove the modern ones and slip the pretty ones into place. If you don't break the seal in the process, they'll hold water. I've been doing them this way for several years now, and it works great.

While I was driving it around this evening, a gray-haired fellow who was mowing his lawn stopped mowing, stood at attention, and saluted the Ambulance as I drove by. I thought that was pretty cool. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

nice job looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Paul -- Next up will be (I think) a WW-I Light Patrol Car, for the same museum. Here is a pic of an Aussie one; ours will be LHD. They were used primarily in North Africa during the war.

patrol

Note that they had a machine gun mounted to the car. I asked the director of the museum where we could get a period machine gun, and he said his office is decorated in "Early Machine Gun" decor. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

That should be a fun project. I hope you post progress reports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Nice job Mike. How is it we never see the other side of the car?? The light patrol car should be a fun build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Great job Mike! Thanks for the tip on radiator clamps.
How do I get a period machine gun for my '17 touring? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Nice ride, Mike !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

That is awesome! Gus has some great historical items to go with that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 12:27 am:

That G sure is pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 12:28 am:

That is wonderful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 12:51 am:

It looks a lot nicer than it did the last time I saw it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Mike,

Great work! It will look great at the WWI air show.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:35 am:

Mike...good hose clamp info. Thanks. I'll try it!

That was great of that guy saluting you and your ambulance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Bob, assuming that you are serious, a machine gun may not be as hard to come by as you think - and for historical display purposes it is possible to get a permit for one. Obviously, you you would render it incapable of firing while mounted on your vehicle. Contact a military vehicle collector's organization in your area and they should be able to help. There is a guy in the next town from where I live who has a machine-gun equipped WW II tank. I asked him about the Browning and he pulled out a three-ring binder with the permits in plastic sleeves. He said that it is a bit of a hassle, but if you have a clean record, it isn't impossible. He had both state and federal permits. Living in anti-gun Massachusetts, I'm betting that the Mass. permit was the harder one to get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Thanks for the compliments, Guys. I appreciate the warm regards.

Here is a link to the Museum's website:

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/

Click on "Biplanes and Triplanes Air Show, Oct. 3 & 4" at the top for more info about that. If you're in the area, it would be worth attending.

I'm looking forward to visiting the museum for the first time. It looks like quite a place from the pictures. I may also stay a couple of extra days to see the air show. Looks like fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 10:19 am:

These guys sometimes advertise non-firing replica display weapons. I can't see why any permits would be needed for them, but I've never looked into buying one. Like my T's, I like my weapons to work like they did when new. I recently bought a Snider Enfield from these guys. Loads of fun shooting black powder cartridges. Perhaps they have a Maxim?

http://www.ima-usa.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Gus, post the photo of your ambulance to see the similarity and contrast?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

Are those 4:40x21 wheels and tires? Or are they 30x3 1/2 over size? Should not they be 3x3 on the front as in the photo of the patrol car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Beautiful work. Just beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Looks great. Well done Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Outstanding!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Darel -- They are 30x3-1/2 all around. The Ambulances used aftermarket demountable-rim wheels all the same size so one spare would work for all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

Hey Marvin
I have not been able to post photos, and have had trouble posting text recently, here is a link to a thread that shows my ambulance and there is a photo of both side by side in the shop. Mike has made some major improvements on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/506289.html
Opps, I forgot the link

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration