Signal lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Signal lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Getting ready to put T up for the winter my winter plan I to put signal lights on this winter had two close calls this summer my question does anyone know of any front lights that will not look too out of place the ones I have looked at don't seem to fit in with the T look

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

If you want lights because of close calls John, you should get lights that are as noticeable as possible. It might anger some here, but LED's are the best possible choice due to their brightness and low current needs. My racer has nothing but LED's including headlights and when they are all lit they draw one lousy amp.

I thought I had a great turn-signal system wired up - it worked perfect until I started the racer. They didn't work due to all of the electrical noise. So my additional advice is to wire it up temporary and test things with your T running. I ended up having to place my circuit at the back of the racer and it all works fine now, but it drove me nuts for a long time before figuring out the problem.

Good luck,

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Maybe some ideas here:

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/history-of-turn-signal.cfm

https://www.google.com/search?q=model+t+ford+turn+signals&biw=1280&bih=605&tbm=i sch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CC0QsARqFQoTCK-73vX9kMgCFclvPgodlOoL7g&dpr=1#tbm =isch&q=1920s+turn+signals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

John,

When I did the hack, I used the bee-hive style, upgraded to an LED lamp, and mounted them on the fender struts UNDER the fender...

You don't see them unless you are looking for them, and straight on they are bright and bold.

You have to be careful with LED's and my rears had to stay filament lamps because it takes a special flasher for the LED work on all corners and I only had a standard 6V flasher laying around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

On my 14 touring, I have oval red LED trailer lights taped to the underside of the rear fenders wired for brake and turn. The front turns are small LED's under the headlights taped to the front of the frame. On both sides. low down on the corners of the vehicle in the rear, I have yellow LED strobes controlled by a separate switch, and all powered by a small 12 volt battery in the tool box. The strobes can be set for different flash patterns and are obtained from an emergency services supplier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Convert the side lamps if your have them. Front turn signal lamps can be white (clear) or amber. These are the standard clear lens with amber bulbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I got these in amber and red for front and rear from Lang's.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/T-LIGHTA.aspx

If you get that signalstat >>> https://www.modeltford.com/item/T-SIGN-CM.aspx you can use the above single filament bulbs, wire in a brake switch and you'll have brake lights too....... :-)
I was NOT going to let 8 small holes in the fenders stop ME from getting killed because of someone.
When you're in a coffin being a purist doesn't mean a thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Has anyone found 6V LED's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:23 am:

I have found 6v LED s on eBay. Haven't hooked them up yet, so
I can't tell you how well they work yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:46 am:

I have one of these Brakelighter LED bars on my touring right at the top edge of the body. It will be sunk into the upholstery if it ever gets upholstered. It is bright. It also is split to function as turn signals I also added on to my neighbor's 30 A sedan.
http://jandlenterprise.com/products/brakelighter.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:14 am:

The left under the fender picture above is a rated 6V LED. They came from www.superbrightleds.com

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-19-led-fo rward-firing-cluster-6v-and-24v-dc-car/511/

As someone has pointed out before, LED tend to throw light straight forward and you can see that in the pick...the amber beehive lamp housing is there...but all of the light of the led is throwing forward...

It is bright enough, and it is probably my imagination...but since I put the lamps on the four corners last year...and now drive with the 4-ways on all the time...I do think folks think twice before riding up on my butt...or think 3 times before deciding to pull a hole-shot from a driveway in front of me...

I found couldn't use the LED at all 4 corners...my flasher was not LED rated (and/or trying to figure out what a dropping resistor was...lol) so it would not flash with all 4 Lamps...but make one or two (I chose the rear 2) filament lamps and all worked fine ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

John,
I wanted front signals that did not require drilling any holes in the car, and to my eye looked like a 20's-30's period accessory.

Looking on ebay, there are old lights similar to these, but the ones I saw in OK shape were all rather pricey. I found a new set like these. They are clearly made 'offshore', but the price was right.

bullet

I rewired them with better wire and connections, then painted them to blend with the car color. I chose clear lenses with amber bulbs because amber front signal lenses catch my eye in a bad way on a T.

In six volt, these lights use a #81 bulb, which can be difficult to locate in amber, so I used Pebeo Vitrail Orange from a craft store to color clear ones. One dip did the trick and it's holding up nicely.

orange

Fronts

Front

I was able to use thin pieces of springy steel to mount under the headlight bracket nuts and still fit the cotter pins. Also made sure there was a good ground to the fender iron. On my car the lip on the fender hides the wire loom when viewed from the front.

These front lights are a bit on the small side, but I was more concerned with warning the cars behind me, and I make a point to be careful with opposing traffic.

Best regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

I'd do the oil lamps if they were there for sure but I went with something like what Brian did above. Brackets that mounted to the bottom of the head light stalks. No new holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:53 am:

blink

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

I am planning to do like Brian Eliason. I have the lights the back end was wired a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Tim Eyssen: I, too, have a 14 touring and would love to see pics of how you hooked up your lights. Can you post some pics of the light placement, wiring and, other equipment you used?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

I have installed some 6 V Kawasaki turn signals but they are too small. I plan to use the 6V fog lights as turn signals as they draw too much current to be used together with the headlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

sorry, uploader wont work.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration