Magneto Post Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Magneto Post Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Brewer - NorCal on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Langs sells a non original style brass mag post and an original style black rubber post. Other than the price difference, are the two equally good?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3260.aspx

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3260AX.aspx

Has anyone had any experience with the cheaper, brass post?
I took mine off to clean it and a piece fell off and now it leaks like a sieve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Either one works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

In my experience the new original type all black plastic with coil spring fits best as that coil spring compresses to the solder pad. Length is spot on.

The all brass with long spring loaded pin, when fitted, the base stood up off the hogshead. Had to shorten the end of the brass pin some, as it was tad too long to retract and allow the base to be screwed down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Here's the photo to show how the long retractable pin is a bit too long. Grind the tip off some.

As always, you get what you pay for :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:45 am:

Seeking out an original magneto post is the right answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Interesting!

I purchased an early and late T magneto post with front toiler and both fit their respective motors without a problem.

Things might not maintain their dimensions when in Florida.
It could have something to do with the temperature and expansion. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:32 am:

FWIW the one that Bob talks about that's all brass does not have the hole in the side for the outside oiler, as the one Dan shows. Obviously neither does the original black style. So when you do an outside oiler your hands are tied. But I thought the post on the brass one can be adjusted upward via the nuts on the top? And aren't they spring loaded? Seems like the one I just put on was, I didn't have to push it down very much either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:03 am:

That new all brass upper comes in both non-outside oiler and outside oiler styles. Just the tapped hole is added for the pipe fitting.

If the one you gets fits, that's fine. Could be difference in mag ring solder pads, or thickness of hogshead, but you should check prior to screwing down the mag post fitting.

But the one used for me didn't. Had to grind the conical tip down some of the retractable center post, the center post wouldn't retract enough to let the mag post fitting mount correctly.

Here is older posts (pun :-) ) on this topic of the repro mag post.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/30304.html?1180447269

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/325075.html?1355178613

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Brewer - NorCal on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Thanks for all the replies. I was about to order the original style post, but then I thought, "what would Steve (Jelf) do?"

I took the cracked post back out, cleaned it with acetone and super glued the broken piece back on.

I made a retainer which was missing and probably the cause of the crack in the first place and a gasket which was also missing.

I reinstalled it, and the leak is fixed and it runs as well as it did before on mag.

I did need to compress the spring about 1/8" to get it in- is this normal?

Again, thanks for all the replies!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Bob

Well done, better to do a good repair on real Ford parts when you can :-)

Yes, the original coil spring contact gets compressed some, that point on the end needs to bed itself into the solder pad. That old T will shake and vibrate, you want that coil spring contact solid in the solder pad, good reason Ford made the contact a coil spring, resists those good vibrations.

The new repro of the Ford style, in black plastic has the authentic coil spring contact and is very worth the price, another well done product from Original Larry Smith.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 10:03 am:

A perfectly manufactured and very serviceable reproduction of the 1915 - 1917 style is available here:

http://www.funprojects.com/products/3260e.aspx

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration