The mystery T strikes again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The mystery T strikes again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

About three years ago I was up on the front porch roof working on the house when a Model T sedan drove by, headed east. Being where I was, I couldn't get out to the road to get a look at it. About a year later I was in the back yard when the same thing happened. I saw it go by, but it was long gone before I could get out to the road. A few minutes ago it happened again. I was a little closer to the road this time so I was able to spot the Improved Car shiny radiator shell, but by the time I got to the road the car was disappearing over the hill to the east. I've asked some of the local old car guys about this car, and nobody I asked knows anything about it. Maybe someday I'll be out at the road at the right moment to flag down the driver and find out who it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

You need to put a big sign near your driveway with a picture of your sedan and the words "Model T Fords welcome here" and an arrow. Maybe one for each direction of the road.
You do know how to make a sign, don't you? (Yes, I am just being snide!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

What was the name of the haunted Plymouth? I think it had a girls name. Maybe there's some relationship between the two mystery cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Christine I believe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Apparently I was the "mystery Model T owner" to one of my neighbors. A guy followed me home a couple weeks ago after seeing me at a local cruise-in. He said he has seen me drive by several times but never was able to figure out where I was from.

I'll be stopping by his place to help him get his T running one of these days...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

At Kop Hill Climb last weekend in the 35 V8 Coupe a chap came up and said he'd seen me driving through Bracknell last week. Yup, I live there. Turns out he is less than a mile away and owns 3 V8s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

It is your grand dads ghost checking on the house restoration. Just smile and wave and don't try to catch him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Yeah! See, Tim knows!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Just ghosts of days gone by....of better, simpler times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I only know of 3 other T's in my area and none get driven except mine. Today, I saw an F-150 in town with a Universal Car tag on the front. It just HAD to be another T owner, but I don't know who. Thought about trying to catch up with him, but did not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Steve, That's funny. Maybe you have a PHANTOM T
going by.
Maybe I will see you at Hershey this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

One of the exciting parts of owning a T is having someone follow you home wanting to talk with you.
It has happened to me twice and it it always a thrill.
I have also met at least 3 people at coffee shops etc. that have T's in storage and are afraid to drive them and say they don't have time.

I figure that I am an ambassador of the model T because I try to get them to enjoy their Model T. That means they don't have to tour or go to shows, it means they should find a way to,have fun driving them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

Good attitude, Fred. I just drive mine. Chat up those who express an interest. Maybe some will follow through and catch
"the disease" ? Disirregardlessly, just have fun. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Fred, that happened to me a few Months after i bought my T and was out driving around getting used to it, when this guy followed every move i made till i turned into the gas station to fill up. When i stopped he came up and asked me every question in the book he could think of, it was clear,...he had the affliction!... He said he had always loved T's but was unsure about how to go about getting a good one and what to pay for it...We still keep in contact in finding him the T of his dreams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

We need to remember that all T owners are not interested in touring. Some want to just get ice cream with their grand kids, take a short drive for fun, or met with other T guys for coffee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:05 am:

And some just let 'em sit. There are at least a dozen T's in this county, but I never see them out driving. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:12 am:

Steve how's your T doing?..Haven't really heard any updates since the new gas tank and overheating problems. Is all good in T land?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:40 am:

Personally, I think I get more of a charge seeing old cars going down
the road like it's still 1925 or 1960 than I do driving them. Not that driving
them or wrenching on them isn't fun. I just love seeing them doing what
they were built to do. No cutesie, no contrived ... just out being driven.

Back when I had free time, I used to volunteer at a few steam railroads.
While the overwhelming majority of people in the organizations scratched
and clawed to get a chance to "run the choo-choo", I preferred to go out
on the line and do track work, just to watch the train go by. The beauty of
a steam locomotive is not being stuck in a hot box, but in watching it pass
in all its choreographed motions of valves and drive rods, spoked wheels,
and the sweet bark of a well-squared machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Steve,

And some don't let them sit. But they don't belong to a local club. They drive them once in a while as you have noticed. I have seen a nice 26/27 Roadster about 4 times while driving to my job in downtime Denver over the past 11 years but who is driving the car is a unknown. I have never seen the car at my local club meetings or activities. I think that for every T we know of out there may be 3 or 4 others out there that are sitting unknown to us or only driven a couple times a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Much better.

I drove it into town today when I went to raid McDonalds' trash.

Used fry cases are a good size for storage boxes, and the price is perfect.

I did run into a weird spark plug problem, which I'll post separately. I've also been working on coils, and will post about that later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 01:20 am:

Great use for the running board child restraint, Steve ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Burger - Sounds like you have a particular love for steam engines like a few others of us. I guess that's obvious from your profile picture, huh? One comment you made reminded me of my late Dad, who was an IHB RR switchman. He and I were talking about a particular steam locomotive one time, and he commented,..."oh, I don't particularly want to ride the darn thing,.....I'd just like to see it run"!

While on this subject (sorry 'bout the thread drift Steve) Burger mentioned "the sweet bark of a well squared machine"! I couldn't agree more! You can tell right away from the sound of the exhaust when one of those "volunteer" steam restoration groups has someone that actually knows how to "set" a steam locomotives valve gear! I like T.V. shows like "Trains & Locomotives" and I particularly like the sound of a hard working steam locomotive with the Johnson bar "down in the company corner" trying to start a heavy train or climb a 2% grade or something. I do have a couple of "pet peeves" though,......one is an engineer that thinks everybody likes to hear the almost constant blowing of the steam whistle, and too much of that is aggravating, especially those horrible whistles on some of those N&W engines. They're not even a chime whistle! And while I'm "bellyache'n", how about some hogger that leaves the cylinder cocks open for the first five miles or so! All that's necessary is to be sure to blow out any condensation from the cylinders of an engine that's been "standing" for awhile, and perhaps initially warm the cylinders a bit, but I like to hear the exhaust bark instead of the hiss of steam escaping from the cylinder cocks! Actually, I sort of rank that aggravation right up there with a really neat Model T video that's spoiled (for me) because I can't hear the engine and related Model T noises for the sound of some stupid banjo "music" or something. It's amazing how so many people think that it's absolutely necessary to hear a bunch of stupid music on a video,.....I like music too, but not when I'd rather hear the sweet sound of an old Ford or such.

Okay,....I'm through "venting",......sorry,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Burger - Everybody knows that "baby gate" is really for goats & sheep!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

There certainly are a lot of steam nuts on this forum!
Was at a steam up a few weeks ago & didn't like the exhaust sounds. When they changed engineers, the new guy immediately stopped the engine--"there's a noise I don't like!" Turned out the crosshead/piston wedge was loose. Quick fix & then the exhaust sounded much better. Later I even got some throttle time on the engine after the public left. SWEEEEET!!!
That part's easy compared to the fireman's job--coal burner, no "sit down" job for him!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Yeah David,.....the fireman's job,......even the bigger engines with mechanical stokers need the fire "touched up" a bit with the scoop now & then, and when the occasional rock or some debris jams the auger in that stoker, all bets are off!

Read once about a young fireman on the Pennsy that was amazed when he took his first "student trip" on a "hot shot" passenger train,.....the Broadway Limited I believe, and he couldn't understand how the fireman was able to sit for over an hour on the seat box with nothing to do but "call signals" and such. Turns out that this ol'-timer fireman with lots of "whiskers" sure knew his engine. He'd load that firebox up very steep with coal on both sides, and in those days of jointed rail, he knew just how to pile that coal so that the vibration from the rail joints would cause the coal to slowly work its way down off of the sides and feed the fire automatically! "Tricks-of-the-trade", right? Guess that wouldn't work nowadays with modern welded rail, huh?

I sure wish I'd have been able to get my Dad and my Grandfather ($oo Line "hog head") to write down some of those RR stories they'd exchange back and forth during holiday dinners and such! Dad always said the railroading was a lot more fun before what my Grandfather called,...."them stink'n diesels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Like with learning about a T, I just shut up and listen, ask questions when I know enough to ask,
and let others do the teaching.

For some though ... the car, the locomotive, the (insert favorite annoying object here) is just a
tool for the blowhard to draw attention to themself, or to extend a personal objective about the
subject matter, such as the #@! music Harold mentioned.

Most of my cars are 1950's vintage, and I have yet to find any car group that is so wrapped up
in bullsh!t clichés around their cars than the morons into 50's cars. With their same 15 songs
(played over and over ad nauseum), the phony window food trays, drive-in speakers, cardboard
cutouts of Elvis, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe ... I am filled with the urge to defecate. And don't
me started on fat, 60-year-old women wearing poodle skirts pretending we're all sixteen and hanging
around at the burger shack in Dad's new 57 Chevy !

Just drive the #@! car and lose all the pretense, cliché, and contrived BS !

Have I mentioned how wonderful the guys are down at the Antique Auto Ranch ? Straight-talking,
helpful, lots of old-tech knowledge, ... and no banjo music !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Poor Burger! There he goes again. :-)

He must have forgotten what it was like in the 50s and 60s.
At least the 60s because if you remember them you were not there!

I was 10 in 55 and wish I could remember more about 1955 thru 1960 when I did things with my dad.
By the early 60s I lusted after a 1957 Chevy and a 40 Ford Woodie.
I never got the Chevy but had the woodie for a few months until I was offed more than I could refuse and moved on to a Pontiac.

I don't care what today's owner looks like or says long as I can look at the cars an remember a long ago life.
As for the the songs, fluff, and cutouts, I hope Burger has a supply of toilet paper or wears depends because it is part of the fun.
His problem is most likely attributed to not being able to control his bowls due to old age.

Before someone gets bent outa shape -- this is all in fun! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Steve, You are an experienced sign maker. Make a sign and mount it as close to the edge of your property in front, saying; "Model T Check Point. All Model T Ford's Must Stop For Inspection".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 12:49 am:

Fred, ... I agree with your line of logic ... songs, fluff, cutouts, toilet paper, depends ...

Pretty sums that up perfectly.

As for my own bowel control, ... sharing is caring ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:13 am:

Great one Terry ! Love it. Oh by the way, your horn is coming out nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Burger -

By agreeing with my line of logic you have have just confirmed that you are completely daft! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

OT Talking about the fireman that knew how to gauge his sittin' time reminded me of a old friend that was a projectionist at the Cinerama in Seattle.

After a few times of seeing and hearing the same movie it was a bit boring. So Bill used to place nickels in the film at a place where it was close to the time to do the swichover to the other projector. As the film ran through from the upper to the lower reel the nickels would fall out onto the floor waking him up in time to do the switchover. For years he slept through the movies he ran and no one was the wiser.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration