Need info on motor number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need info on motor number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

mfg date on motor 303702 month and year thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

1913.,Don't know month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

July 1913, near the beginning of the month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

July 1, 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

About 1 hour before the end of the shift. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Well, on July 1, 1913 Ford stamped engines 302,916 through 303,820, a total of 905. Those numbers come right out of Bruce McCalley's book. A couple of thoughts:

1. I know this displays huge ignorance, but I have a question. We're all engine blocks stamped at the same location? If so, then keeping the numbering sequence would have been relatively easy. If not, how the heck did they keep track on a daily basis?

2. Assuming they were only running 1 shift, Mike is right about it being stamped about an hour before the end of the shift. Is that true or were they running three shifts, in which case Harold's engine would have been stamped sometime before lunch on the third shift?

Sorry, but it's how my mind works. Drives my wife nuts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

Henry

Ford Methods and Ford Shops (1914) has detail on the production. At that time two 8-hour shifts were running, 6:30am-3pm and 3:30pm to 11:40pm in the machining and assembly, three shifts in foundry.

Blocks were not stamped until the engine was completely assembled, and that operation was one of the last on the motor assembly line.

At the date of Nov. 1914, it took 226 minutes of one man's time to assemble a completed engine.

Noted in the book, May 8,1914, 472 men working 8 hours, (one shift) assembled 1,000 motors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, September 25, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Harold,

Is the block casting date between June 2-4, 1913?

Another date, if the original transmission is present, will be stamped on the transmission stub shaft. Probably May 26 - 28, 1913, and will appear like "5 26 13." Transmission assembly at that time was about 5 to 7 days ahead of assembly into a complete engine.

303,702 appears to have been built on a Tuesday full shift. The plant worked 5-1/2 days a week.

That week they were off Friday and Saturday to observe the 4th of July.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Henry, the answer to your first question is no. In the serial number section of Bruce's encyclopedia you find notes like "200 shipped to Long Island, NY". That's numbers shipped, not engines. I don't know which branch plants assembled engines, but Long Island and Manchester are mentioned often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 10:43 am:

OK, Henry caught me. I didn't think about them having more than one shift until after I posted that. So using Dan's info about having two shifts, that engine would probably have been finished about 2 hours before the end of the second shift, or about 9:40 p.m. (Give or take.) :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration