Starter switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starter switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson, Sudbury MA on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Who sells the best repro starter switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 11:57 am:

The Ford 9N part from Tractor supply works OK with the original Model T bracket. You have to drill a couple holes.

There is a reproduction part that is poorly made with brass plated steel contacts. It is a pretty good paper weight. I don't think there is any other reproduction. All the vendors get that part from the same place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Hi Bill,

I don't know about reproductions but I got my switch from Lang's like everything else.

Thanks for the heads up about the throttle linkage.
I have the motor installed and everything hooked up, but ran out of time before I could try to start it.
I am on my way to Chicago for a conference but hope to turn the switch next weekend.

Thanks for you help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 01:51 am:

I bought a repro from Snyders about 7 years ago maybe and it's been perfect. It was claimed to be made in the U.S. Part number T-5014-RE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

In my 21 touring, I find the location of the stock switch inconvenient. The original repro I bought is still fully functional, but I bought a push button switch at Menard's for a couple of bucks and mounted it under the driver's seat in a more convenient location. I have a starter solenoid, so the starting amperage is not a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

I know of several people that mounted a solenoid and used the old standard switch to activate it. Works great and looks original with the solenoid out of sight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

And what is the advantage to that other than making things overly complicated?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

The solenoid takes the full amperage load of the starter, not the switch. It is very easy to mount in the frame rail near the switch, and very easy to wire. The solenoid will come with wiring instructions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

I bought an original foot starter switch from ebay, sold by Mike Peterson for my '26 coupe which can't be beat. If you want a really good starter switch watch ebay, as they occasionally come up, or contact Mike Peterson directly at: mikepatpete@hotmail.com and he might have one to sell, for he specializes in purchasing 1926-'27 Model T's and parting them out and is a good source for just about any original part you might need for your improved Model T. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:05 am:

I like the genuine Ford switches with the two small screws. They can be taken apart and repaired. Usually, I have to buy three or four of them to get good parts. Just clean them up, and file the contacts, and they are as good as new.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration