Headlight problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Headlight problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Just attempted to wire up the headlights on the 27 Coupe, I'm using a standard wiring harness, the passenger light works fine and the tail light is fine but the drivers bulb is very dim. I have tried swapping bulbs and no change. Any help for the electrical challenged would be greatly appreciated. Harv.light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

take the drivers lamp base out of the back of the socket...exchange the wires...put it back in.

If it still stays dim...you have an isolated ground condition and you'll have to see how to get the housing grounded better

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Thanks George, I'll try after lunch. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

Try sanding the grounding areas. That was my problem, needed a better connection

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

I had a similar problem recently with the left headlight on my '15 which has dual contact single filament bulbs. The socket on that side had a broken spring. It was barely making contact with the plug. Luckily I had a box of NOS headlight contact assemblies and swapped the old one out for a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

The way the light is made, there is a sleeve pressed into the outer bell shaped cover of the light. The socket is inside this sleeve and has a screw and spring for adjustment of the focus. It is through that sleeve that the ground is made to the socket. That area tends to rust, especially if the car has been left outdoors in the weather. It might need to be pressed out, cleaned up and pressed back in. Other areas to check are the light to fender connection. I think you have a bad ground somewhere.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

Thanks to all, This site is the best. I wasn't getting a ground where the light body attaches to the bar. Too much paint, after a little sanding problem solved.. Thanks again to all of you. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

That dim light appears to have both elements lit and dividing the voltage, like one wire is going to ground and the other one getting the 6 Volts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration