OT Scam

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Scam
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:38 am:

Here's another one to watch out for. They installed some "malware" on my computer with a big warning and a telephone number to call immediately....long story short...they did clear it but it cost $299.00 that I probably have to pay because my card holder can't get it reversed. The "fixers" are from the Philippines. The charge is listed like this on my statement:

INTELLIGEEKS.NET MALVERN PA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:43 am:

At least that's what I was told. The Intelligeeks.com web site looks legit ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 07:18 am:

Oh Hal, boy were you ever taken! We were getting that too a few months back on our barely two month old MAC of all machines (usually MAC's are "left alone") and I can't remember now what Apple told to do to get rid of it, but I did, plus I called that 800 number they give you to steal your money from, and told them if it happened again I was going to blow up their F-ing place! So far, so good, no more trouble. Just sayin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Call your credit card company. They will delete the charge. You do not have to pay for fraud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

I called them but so far now action. (USAA)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

You need to cancel your card asap, they will charge thousands more if you don't. If you gave them any of your information, you need to shut everything down now or you will be in a world of hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Google has several entries for them...seems like they offer a refund.

(Maybe some "bad" people hacked into their system).

https://www.intelligeeks.net/refund-policy.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:41 am:

After 46 years in IT, I've learned that there is one type of protection for your computer that will ensure you NEVER have to worry about any type of virus or malware .., even the dreaded crypto virus. The problem is - no one will do it because it requires a bit of effort.

It's called making an image backup. Not a regular backup of your data but an IMAGE backup. It requires an external hard drive and a piece of software. Total cost would be from $60 to $100. the procedure is that it makes a bit by bit backup of your harddrive, the entire drive, operating system and all. If anything happens to your machine you can easily restore it to the last time it was working well.

The advantage ... you will never, ever have to worry about anything happening to your machine again. The disadvantage ... it requires a little effort.

Google it! Or ... http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

The "little effort" required is that this type of image is for a point in time so any changes made after that point are lost during a restore. If all you do is browse the web, no big deal, a single restore point is probably fine. If you do any real work though, you need to either have a secondary backup of those files and settings or a fresh image backup whenever you pass the threshold of "I really can't afford to lose this". If you value keeping your email, documents, and other files, you need to have a backup plan that corresponds to the value you place on those items.

My preference is an image copy that only gets refreshed when there is a major system change and then more conventional backups run each night. The most I would lose is one day of changes.

I fully agree with Bud that the backups need to be on a separate and hopefully external drive.

Hardware and software that I've used seems far more reliable in recent years. It's been a long time since I've needed to do a complete restore. The web is still full of opportunities for infection though so I remain skeptical of email and web links from unknown sources and do my best to avoid the types of internet sites that are more prone to infections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

External drives are inexpensive.
I have a 1MB USB hard drive ( under $100) and two old 250 GB drives in cheep USB enclosures that I use for backups
The 1MB drive is small and I use it for the home and work computer.
It does take a bit of discipline but it is better to be be safe than sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Linux mirrored usb drives no hard drive... no problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Don't you believe that one, if you do you will be getting a bill too.

Do a search for Linux hack or Linux virus and you can find details on many.

A friend with Linux got two last week.

Not as many people use Linux, so it is not as cost effective to make a Linux virus or other malware, but they are becoming more practical, along with Apple problems.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration