1926/27 commutator wiring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926/27 commutator wiring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Maybe a dumb question, I don't know but I would like to find an answer. I am installing a 26/27 coil box and wiring on my doodlebug, I noticed the new harness has different ends. Which end is supposed to go where? One side has a long tail of cloth braid hanging from it on the right side and the wires exit the cloth sheathing differently.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:23 am:

The wires on the right go to the coil box. (longer leads.) Don't know why the extra braiding is there. You can cut it off to about 1/2-3/4" then stuff it back into the loom so it doesn't fray at the opening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Chad
The left side side goes to the timer and the right side to the coilbox.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:26 am:

The end with the tail went to the timer on my 19.
The different lengths make it easy to position the wires correctly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:27 am:

That loom for the engine mounted coil box on the '26-'27 looks like a poor reproduction, way too long at the terminal ends.

But to use it, place the longer wires at the timer, as they wrap around the commutator and need the extra length there, but your's sure looks way too long on the ends. The bifurcated end looks real odd.

Here is the stock Ford '26-'27 Commutator harness. P/N 5031-B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Dan, I have no trouble making the wires custom fit if I have to. I realize not all repo parts are made correctly.

Thank You everyone for the help on the identification of the ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:54 am:

As long as those leads are, I suspect it would work either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Chad
While you are adding this new harness a wise thing to do is obtain two Ford part number T-2124-A "Commutator Wire Terminal Retainer" (introduced in October 1921) to properly form the wires at the timer and greatly help prevent fraying of the wires in and around the timer to prevent possible shorts to ground.
|image{1}
If you investigate this you will find there are almost 50-100 different harness' to fit all different combinations of Model T's and many of the many different types of unique wire ends that are no longer made. Reproduction Model T wiring harness' are a compromise and made to fit most cars. Larry Smith harvests unique wire ends from old wiring harness'. The coilbox to timer harness is the most simple and even that one is made incorrectly.
There are multiple manufacturers of reproduction wiring harness' and they can differ between manufacturer.
There are firms that will make custom wiring harness' if you obtain and provide the Ford prints.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Oops here is the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Chad

A couple of pics may help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Don't forget the clip at the bolt on the LH side of the water outlet on the cyl head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Success. I got it all back together and running again. Feels good to have coils back on it. I don't fault the Texas T distributor in anyway, it has performed flawlessly, I just really missed the coils--which I would have done the first time had I had a set.

I see from the pics above I need to go back and flip the terminals on the timer, I have it so the wires are closest to the block. Other than tweeking the timer rod, I just have to get some flag terminals to neaten up the wiring some by trimming some excess length.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration