Front Bow Out of Alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front Bow Out of Alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:09 am:

I am putting a new top on my 13 Touring. I cleaned up the irons, bought new bows, trimmed them down, wrapped them, and attached 4 new footman's loops for the straps. When I put the bows on the car, and use strips to get all of the bows at the correct angles, the front bow is out of alignment. Rather than centered on the windshield, the distance between the windshield and the bow is about two inches more on the drivers side , than the passengers side. The windshield is centered, so I know that is not the problem. The two middle bows are perfectly vertical. Does anyone have ideas on how to make the front bow correctly aligned?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

It sounds as if the front bow, on one side, is not as deep into the iron as on the other side. Measure from the outer edge of the front top iron to the front bow, on either side, and that should show your two inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Thanks. I measured from the top of the front iron to the inside edge of the bow. Both sides are equal (within about 1/8th inch).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Be sure that both of your front sockets are correct for a '13 touring. You may have one side from a different year. The '15 touring socket is 23" long and the '13-'14 is 26".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

There are many lengths of bows. Some are 54", and it just might be maybe you wound up with 56"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Brilliant! I looked and R.V., you are correct. There is a discrepancy in the socket lengths. Now I just have to figure out how to work my way around the issue.

BTW, I am really looking forward to seeing the coil box and coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:56 am:

Well, shucks, never thought about the irons being different side to side! Sounds like either replace the irons section on one side, or get the bow deeper into the longer iron. Interesting...but understandable...whenever I do an old top, I'll spend a lot of time getting everything square...in the span of 100 years, a lot of changes can take place, as you've found!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:22 am:

It's not the problem this time, but another thing to check is the location of the top support bracket in the front seat relative to the firewall. On 2 out of 3 1914 Touring cars either my father or I had, the brackets were in different places side to side. The distance to the firewall was 1 1/2 - 2" different. All three cars had the original wood in the body and the brackets hadn't been moved.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration