Newbie Warford Question. Go easy on me.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Newbie Warford Question. Go easy on me.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Just acquired my first Model T, a 1926 speedster that I want to rebirth into a WWI era military vehicle, but will probably end up with a 26 Roadster Pick Up painted OD green with some US Army markings.
It will be driven by a 60 year old femaile in parades or short distance events only. Probably trailered anywhere over 10 miles away.
The speeedster currently has a Warford transmission attached to the normal drivetrain. What little I hve read on the Warford is how it is a nice addition for top end speed and driveability on 30mph roads or higher, which will not be our usual scenario.
So, do I leave the Warford attached for when we learn to drive a Model T or for resale or other drivers? Or, do we remove it and install the correct lenght driveshaft/rear axle and make the Warford available to someone who will get better use out of it? If we leave the Warford attached, can we drive the Model T "normally" and not have to worry about additional brakes and shifting and gearing and throttling al at once, etc?
Interested in what members would advise. I can have photos supplied or posted if necessary, but didn't think it would add anything to the question.
I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Hi Robert, If you leave the Warford you "need" some sort of auxiliary brakes. It is just not very safe to drive without them with the Warford. Brakes would be an extra expense if the car does not already have them. Selling the Warford to someone who could make good us of it, and maybe net some extra cash for your project. The person you sell it too probably will have the parts for you to switch out. They may even be able to help with the switch out. Photos will help if you can post them. Any decisions you make are really your decisions as to the type of car you want to end up with. The main thing is make sure it is safe. So welcome to the T world and have fun ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

The original Warfords are difficult to shift while driving. Auxiliary brakes are a must with a Warford. However the low range is nice for parades and the neutral makes starting especially in cold weather easier. It is a trade off and depends what is most important to your situation.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

If I bought a car with a Warford, it would stay in the car. First it adds to the resale value and also it sure helps if you tour in hill country. Shifting is not that difficult to do.
I also would add some extra brakes if the car is not equipped with some.
If you are new to the hobby, have someone look at the rear wheels, brakes may have been installed when the Warford was installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Leave the Warford in. Underdrive is great for parade duty and direct puts you back into a completely normal driving mode. You may never care about any overdrive effect but the next owner may. I agree that brakes at the rear wheels are needed, but then I am a firm believer in brakes at the rear wheels for all Model T's that will be driven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

From what you wrote, My suggestion is to definitely Keep the Warford. One of the most used things about this aux tranny is the Underdrive. It is perfect for slow speed driving exactly the way this gal will be driving it. Also perfect for when loading on a trailer or in parking situations. It allows the driver to comfortably drive in high pedal at slow speeds and not having to keep the low pedal pushed hard against the floor for long periods of time.

The danger of the aux trannys is during shifting while driving. During this time the driveline is freewheeling and only the parking brake is active.

In this case she does not need to shift anything except the foot pedal from low to high and if she keeps the Warford in underdrive or direct drive there is no danger or in her case a need for an auxiliary brake.

Keeping the Warford will definitely add value to the car whenever it is sold and the effort changing it out is not warranted.

Now that I have said this I have to say I am a stanch believer in 4 wheel brakes! Your situation seems to be outside of the normal T driving experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 09:14 am:

OK, I'leave it in and build around it. Might learn how to use it before it is all over. Or, the next guy (my 22 year old son) can learn to use it.

Thanks for marking the road.

TO THE GARAGE!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration