What is I.D of axle tube where sleeve goes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is I.D of axle tube where sleeve goes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

My axle has a modern sealed bearing that has failed. I do not know if the previous owner machined the axle tube for this bearing or not. I cannot find anywhere what that tube diameter should be. What would the original diameter of the axle tube be where the bearing sleeve is inserted? Once I know that I can measure what I have to see if I can go back to original style bearings. Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Steve

This is an older post with a measure made from several axle housings:

Herman Kohnke on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 11:21 pm:
.......I have found the housing bore's to be 2.215, I.D.. The wall thickness of the Ford sleeves about .070, Plus, or minus .001 thousands, but being not a precision sleeve, can very that much.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 12:16 am:

Thanks for that info, Dan. It definitely has been machined out then. I don't have the old bearing out yet so that I could mic it, but with a caliper it was measuring about 2.445", so they took almost a quarter inch out. It all has to come apart anyway as the axle shaft is badly worn as well. At least I now know that some major work needs to be done to the housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 02:58 am:

Steve, you might need to run that measurement again, the OD of the tube for the outer dust cover/seal, is only 2.450".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration