Contrast in technology!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Contrast in technology!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

What we have here is probably the starkest contrast in technology within ten feet of each other. My '13 Touring, Clarabelle on the left, and a $100K Tesla on the right. Pretty cool!But Puddles, the Wildlife Refuge's Mascot where this car show was held, seemed to like my car the best!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:45 am:

It has been a while since I shared this photo. However, it, too, is a contrast in technology.
It needs a little setup. My son and I several years ago, attempted an Endurance Run in a "throw together" speedster that had been sitting outside for a few years. We barely got it put together and running, first fired late the night before the Run.
The car was NOT ready. But we had a lot of fun fighting onward for most of the day. Fuel problems (there were leaves in the gasoline tank, I vacuumed it out, flushed it out, before first starting, but there must have been something I couldn't get), corrosion of the electrical wiring, adjustments, you name it). At one point, we had to pull over out of a traffic area, and ended up under a shade tree on a side road. The vulture wagon missed us going by. I saw him, but he did not see us.
A couple hours later, at least four hours behind the main group, we were knocked out by a flat tire in the middle of no-where. No tire pump. No spare tube (well prepared, weren't we?). No vulture wagon, and no cell phone signal for miles.
Or is there?
I had worked for many years in RF and communication systems. I knew a little about how these things worked.
A little experimenting using my cell phone as a signal detector, and the car's hood as a semi-parabolic reflector, I focused onto a distant cell tower. Holding the phone as close to the focal point of the curves of the hood as I could estimate, I was able to make calls.
A club member drove out, gave me a ride back to my truck and trailer. I drove back up to where Rob was waiting in nearby shade and we returned on the trailer to finish line. After everyone else had gone home.
But we had fun all day long.

I look terrible in this picture, but I am actually making a phone call!

Sorry for the thread drift.
Tim, I love your '13! It is beautiful.
At least I can kick it back to the top.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

A great photo by Tim, and an even greater story by Wayne!

Last year the local historical society asked me to write an article about electric cars, old and new. The town mayor and a neighbor both had Teslas, and we wanted to illustrate the article with an the Teslas and something historic (it is, after all, a historical society). I don't have an electric, so I posed my '13 T with the Teslas.

Also, I had my Cadillac at a Cars and Croissants gathering, and a fellow parked next to me with Cadillac's new mostly-electric hybrid, based on the Chevy Volt. Another interesting contrast in technologies, this time by the same manufacturer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Another contrast

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Joe, that would be a "T" Bone.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Solar panels on our Model T Garage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Norman, you lucky duck you! I tried like heck over 5 years ago to get a 10K wind turbine installed, but due to having layered limestone right up to only 6" of grade followed by solid bedrock only 3' below grade, my contractor bailed on me and I lost my energy grant for it. So dissapointed. How many KW is that? I'm thinking around 6? Does it fill all your electric need or a portion? At least you probably get lots more sun per year here than we do, but if there's ever any more energy grants for sustainable power, I'm going to look into it. I'm glad for you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

I don't know how many KW it is, but it averages out over the year. During the hot summer and cold winter months I use a bit more than it provides, but in spring and fall it provides more than I use and I get once a year a bill from the electric company called, "true up" Usually about $150 for the whole year.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Tim, wasn't there a cross country race between a T and a Tesla. The Tesla beat the T by only a half hour or so because the T made a wrong turn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 06:54 am:

Hmmm...Dan, beats me. But when I get home later on, or this evening, I'll have to Google it. Off to take a Sr. Citizen to a doctor appointment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:00 am:

Hi Tim;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:13 am:

(Message edited by mkossor on October 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Stock vs Electronic Timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:25 am:

HCCT vs ECCT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Dan & Tim, Here's an article about the race: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2013-tesla-model-s-vs-1915-ford-model-t-rac e-of-the-centuries-feature
And here's a discussion about the event on the forum: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/395337.html?1382070989

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

Roger...thanks a bunch! Saved me some time looking! I started reading it, but for now have to go (so so busy!) as I see it's like 8 pages long! Looks like a cool article, and a neat race. Can't wait to read it all.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration