Wood firewall picture/drawing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wood firewall picture/drawing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

I want to replace the plywood firewall on my 24 Hack with a solid wood one. Would like a picture or drawing of a firewall showing typical board assembly/orientation. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Problem with custom made bodies are they are all different as to height width and the motor opening best remove the one you have and copy it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

A solid wood firewall would need pieces of boards glued or spliced to be stronger than modern multi-plywood, which won't warp either. My 1919 aftermarket T body had original solid wood, glued in pieces. But over the years soft wood added, so it was very weak and fell apart.

Made new firewall using quality Baltic birch 7 ply and it is really strong. Used the old parts for pattern.

Came out fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Thanks. I don't need specifics on dimensions. Just need an idea on how boards are positioned for splicing to minimize warping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 01:50 am:

Gary, on our Canadian sourced cars, the wooden firewalls were all three ply. The core of the wall was made up of random width boards with the grain running from top to bottom. There were thinner plies on the outer faces, with the grain naturally running horizontally. They were never made with just boards running either way.

Today's multi ply panels are much stronger and more stable.If you must have the board look, just score lines in the outer ply layers, I would suggest with the grain vertical.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Any splicing you do is going to be weaker than a solid piece of plywood. Like Allan states, the plywood nowadays is much stronger. Go to a Woodcrafters and they should have what you need. Not the cheap stuff you find at Menards or Home Depot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 11:58 am:

OK Thanks for the input guys. Sounds best just keep the firewall I already have.
Gary

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration