What is the value of top bows

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is the value of top bows
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

There is a local Craigslist ad for top bows for a 2 man top bows 17-22 touring. Assuming they are in a usable as is shape, and they are what he says they are what are they worth? All I have are the mounts on the body to hang it and nothing else. It will be expensive to complete putting a top on the car I really do not need a top, I like the open car, but it adds more of the clutter that makes a T interesting.
My car is a budget build, are there patterns for the top and pads available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:13 pm:

First you have to make sure they are the correct ones and you did not mention what the price was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

He wants $750, at this point, I'm just assuming they are correct. With new bow sets in the $900 plus change range from Birdhaven that is too much to me, especially since I don't think I would ever have the top up. It is just another accessory I would like to have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

I sell refurbished two man top bows for $375.That includes new wood in curves and new straight bows. Irons are in primer.Shipping is extra.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Are you referring to the ones for 300 in Brighton if so they are for a runabout/roadster. If they are in pretty good shape the price is good but you could probably deal the guy down a tad. Usually you need to put new wood in them and if you do your own wood work you can get by cheap or check around and by new ones from Langs and other suppliers. the wood varies in price a bunch so good idea to shop around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Oops I did not read the other answers before posting my last post. Sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Are these kinda like them? I have one side ill sell you for 200

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Sounds like Jack is your best bet. If you have a good sewing machine and some pictures you should be able to make your own top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Doug, I have a pretty nice set Ill sell for 250.00. plus shipping. I will have to remove the bows for shipping, as it is still a complete assembly. The irons are very solid with no rust out and a lot of original paint. The 4 long wood top bows are probably useable, and 1/2 of the curved wood pieces are useable and the others should be replaced. The curved wood pieces are small and easily made. The ones with these bows will make good patterns. Just guessing, but I think shipping will be about 50.00 to 75.00 in mainland US. Should still cost you considerably less than the set you are looking at. If interested, send me a PM or e-mail to dobro(at) artelco.com I can send you some pics of them or post them here for others to critique them for you. :-) Just a suggestion, but you can get the top irons and bows fixed and mounted on the car with no top material. Then find a old top boot to cover them with till you are ready to put the top material on (or make your own boot). Looks good till more money flows in for a finished top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 02:14 am:

I see people asking $500 to $1000 for top irons and bows? But I don't see them getting it. I think Jack D's prices are good, and Donnie B's may be also, depending on your budget and how much work you want to do. I have a small pile of top irons (no wood), apparently all '17 to '22. Some of it I gave about $25 for a couple years ago at the Bakersfield swap meet. There was about enough for one touring and one runabout plus a couple pieces. Condition? Rough but mostly decent restorable. For what it is worth. (And, No, I am not trying to sell it, I may need some of it, but if anybody nearby needs a couple pieces, I would let a few go)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 11:11 am:

1917 top bows are not square. They are the same oval bows that were used in 1915 and 1916 model years.

1918 through 1922 model years are the square bows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

you are correct Erik! '18 to '22.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I'm looking for a set of top irons for a 11 open runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Patrick, your square section irons are like those we find on 26-7 improved cars. Prior to that, the irons could be whatever the body builder used on our locally built cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

Patrick has the back 2/3 of the driver's side on a 23-25 roadster set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:02 am:

And that price is a typo :-( sorry :-( more like 50

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration