Quick T Trip in Kansas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Quick T Trip in Kansas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

We had a beautiful day here, so we took our '10 and Brian Martin took his '26 and we set off. We drove about 20 miles to Coronado Heights, and 1930's WPA Project on top of a hill. Then we stopped for lunch, then headed for home. We covered about 50 miles. The best part is that only 2 miles was paved; the rest was dirt. Most of the dirt was very well maintained, and we were able to cruise at 35 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 12:20 am:

Looks like lots of fun. Great Model T roads you found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 12:43 am:

That's my idea of a proper car show ! Love it ! :-)

So, what was the fireplace thingy built for ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 12:56 am:

Burger, the fireplace thingy was what is left of the WPA Project that Chris mentioned. We have one much like that here,at least we used to, not sure that it is still there. It was for a barracks as I recall. There are several WPA Projects that were built around this area, sadly, some have fallen into disrepair as the older generation passes and the younger generation don't realize the importance of them. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 04:11 am:

One of the great features of the Great Plains is great Model T roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:30 am:

The fireplace is just that. Built and used for cook-outs. The entire spot has a lot of cement picnic tables and smaller bbq pits. On the left of that photo is a stone wall. It's part of the two-story 'castle' built there. I'm standing on the open deck, top story for the photo.
Here's another photo, taken near the fireplace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Positively envious. What a fantastic outing! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Too bad it wasn't pouring rain and you could see what it is like to drive through mud. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Dave-I've done a fair bit of mudding, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Chris,
In your last post, second photo, that car isn't muddling, it's Fording. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Henry,
You're absolutely right. But it was pretty muddy going into and coming out of that stream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Wish I was still out there with my car. Would have loved to go play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

So I have to ask. Why was I not invited? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

Jared-I wish you were too. We could definitely use more people around here with running, driving T's that want to use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Chris. Is the road that goes up the hill to the castle, still rough and rocky?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

It's old pavement going up, but dirt and rock at the top. I don't think going up is bad at all. I did it in Ruckstell low, high pedal with 3:1 gears at about 20-25 mph.
It's a "big" Kansas hill-took about 45 seconds to climb!
They do a bicycle hill climb and we commented it would be fun to do a timed T hill climb there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Chris, please e-mail me the two pictures of your '15 crossing that stream, and preparing to cross a larger one.

With your permission, I'd like to enlarge
and hang them on my office wall.

Thank you.

Bill Everett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:56 am:

"We could definitely use more people around here with running, driving T's that want to use them."

Boy, ain't that the truth! I think there are at least a dozen T's around here, and mine is the only one I ever see being driven. I don't get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Bill-They are photos from the HVA trip over the summer. They like all the publicity they can get, so I don't think it's a problem for you to use them.

Steve-I guess I should have said "people that want to use them in a group or on a club tour". We've got 4-5 cars that come out and tour regularly but it would be nice to have a few more. How about joining us on the 17th?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Chris: That would be nice to be able to drive in a Model T group or club tour, however, here in Alaska those options just don't offer themselves. There are a very small number of Ts that I have seen people drive, most owners seemingly keep them in a garage. Most, if not all, of our T driving is solo. The one tour we have driven in was in 2009 we were able to drive the Ocean to Ocean tour. Earlier I posted some pictures of our recent drive into Denali National Park where mud and snow pretty much ruled the day. The car was the same one that we took on the 2009 tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Barry, that's one thing that Alaska and Spain have in common... not too many Model Ts around and most of the owners who do have one prefer to let it sit in a garage rather than take it out for a drive or a tour! :-(

When I get mine finished I hope to be an ambassador promoting owners to share their cars by driving them and letting others see them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

One of my current projects is gathering all the stuff to put in or on a T for touring (gasket paper, flashlight, spare plugs, tire pump, nuts & bolts, cotter pins, running board cans, etc.). When I'm ready I'm going to start pestering some of the local T owners to come out and join the fun. Too many T's in this county are never driven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

If you ever head far enough north, we'll drive a spectacular tour. The summer scenery is quite something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Fowler on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

This is great! Glad to see some fellow people from Kansas on here. I am just considering diving into the Model T world and just about an hour from these photos.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration