Dirt track racer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dirt track racer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 07:32 am:

im in st louis, i have a dentist here who called me, wants to sell me a 1940s dirt track racer. went to look at it yesterday, ford flathead v8, offenhauser heads dual carbs. looks like a racer from the past. it runs, has some body parts on it but would need to be "reskinned" as he says, he saw my new speedster at my car lot, stopped by. he wants to sell it for 4k. any idea what its worth. it has my interest peaked, dont know if i want another project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Is it a V8 60?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:47 am:

A lot depends on what it is made up of. If it was a sprint car versus midget and un modified, I believe it would be worth more than a midget IF.
It has a racing frame and body that was some sort of manufactured units.
It has full floating hubs on the rear and right front.
It has a period modified engine that has obvious weathered speed equipment.
It has some sort of documented history.

Pictures would be helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:47 am:

pictures would help a lot. :-)

I have had my pre-war Midget listed locally for $4000 which is on the high side for what it is, but I'm not really all that eager to sell either. I have seen several comparable cars all in the $3500-4000 range but they don't seem to be selling either. Incomplete cars with no known history have a pretty small market.

Here's mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Pictures would be most helpful. There were a lot of different types of dirt track cars of that era based on wheel base and engine size.

just sayin,
brasscarguuy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

thanks for all the responses. this car is bigger that the one pictured. It also has a tubular racing frame, not a reg car frame. 85 hp i believe, has a magnito also. I had a guy put a body on the model t speedster that I have now. Very nice car, and I love it, brakes are horrible tho. cant hardly stop it. im gonna take some pics of both there cars, try to post them on here. also, i have several ts that im gonna sell anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

There was a guy at the Old Threshers show at Mount Pleasant Iowa this year who had a racer like Derek's. It was restored and he was able to tell the story about it from new.
I could perhaps find out his name and get you another opinion?

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

id like that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 01:14 am:

As it was told to me, the history of my dirt track racer was spent mostly on a potato
farm in Minnesota before going to New England and ultimately to me in Spokanistan.

It is unrestored, but has had plenty of work done to keep it nice. I paid $8K for it
largely as you see it here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 08:48 am:

So far I found this:

http://siacc.info/

It is the website for the Southeast Iowa Car club which is at Mount Pleasant Iowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

I don't know the owner but I know it is powered by a four cylinder Allis Chambers tractor engine. The hood was off a couple years ago and I did see a repaired block that looked like it was caused by a rod exiting the block. Herb gave you the club web site. You should be able to go to that site and find the owners name and contact information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Thanks Harry.
Mike let us know if you find something out or need more.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 12:16 am:

Burger, I bet that thing corners like a truck. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration