Second graders and a model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Second graders and a model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

Last Friday I took one of our T's to my son's second grade class and gave a little talk about Henry and T's. Here is a picture and a link to an article that one of the teachers wrote. I am not starting this thread to toot my own horn but rather to encourage you all to do the same at your local schools. Sadly they would not let me give the kids rides due to liability issues but I was able to explain how the car worked. If we don't share this history with kids all of our cars will end up with big engines and bad paint jobs when we are gone. Ha Ha. The kids really enjoyed this and I did too!
http://www.kimball.k12.mn.us/page/hot_news/view/51

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

Good for you Matt! Well done. Nice article.
You are right, more of us must do this sort of thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

I aim to do that too, now that I'm getting my roadster reliable enough to get me to the school and back. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

Our club goes to several schools each year and have a great reception by the teachers and students. It can also stir up interest for future hobbiests to keep our cars running for another 100 or more years.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

Nice! I hope to get my car back together soon to do the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

My grandson is taking a small engine repair class. I scheduled a day with his teacher a little later in the semester to drive the TT over for his classes to look over. Should be fun. After all, it's on topic. Even though it has 4 cylinders, there's no starter, no oil pump, no fuel pump, no water pump and no distributor just like most other small engines.

Fortunately, I have a little time to think over what I'm gonna say that day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

We had this thing called "pioneer day" when I was in school. The HS principle and the assistant superintendent both have Model A's and they would bring them. Of course, a pioneer would have had it made going west in a Model A instead of a covered wagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

That is a great thing to promote the hobby. Exposing young minds to old cars is wonderful. Some will enjoy it more than we will ever know. It is well worth the effort.
Thanks for the reminder.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 01:20 am:

While I cannot remember the exact event that destroyed my life and destined me to
be a starry-eyed dreamer of days long ago, it is said that victims are something like
90% likely to victimize others in the same way. :-)

Poison those young minds every chance you get ! (insert evil laugh here) LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 05:25 am:

Kudos to you Matt! Very nice.

We live in an urban area and a friend used to bring 1/2 dozen of his cars each year to his school (he was a teacher). I understand that the volunteer drivers were required to submit to background checks and I believe fingerprinting, to get on school grounds. Hang onto your small-town America as long as you can!

Again, Kudos to you and all others for being great ambassadors for the hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 05:50 am:

I agree with this and think it is great! How about aiming some T education at the high school level too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Several years ago I was requested to show our '19 Centerdoor as part of my friend's son's senior class project on the "industrial age" and mass production. All the kids got to sit in it, blow the horn, etc. The biggest kick was showing them it started by hand cranking it ! I received the nicest thank you card signed by the teacher & whole class ! Perhaps one of those young folk might pursue the hobby ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Not finding any fault with Matt, mind you, as what you done was very good for the hobby. My thought or suggestion is that each kid should have been provided with a copy of the T with just themselves standing at the side. a real reminder that they are connected to past history.

Thanks Matt for sharing this AWESOME thread.

John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration