Older Design RM Brakes Instructions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Older Design RM Brakes Instructions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Nigel Hugo was nice enough to scan his set of older design Rocky Mountain brake instructions, so I am posting them here for anyone who may be interested.

Larry Smith, are these truly period originals, or an earlier reproduction than what is available now?

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

Lots of clues that these are post WW2 era: zip code, telephone #, prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

You're right, Layden, I would have seen that if I had just looked, duh!

BTW, the check is in the mail for your set (no, really!). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

I can attest to the fact that Farm Street in Downey, CA. is anything but an industrial area.

As you can see from my user name, I'm from Bellflower. I live very close to Downey. So close, I attended Downey High School.

I went to High School with several people that lived on Farm Street. Farm Street is a totally house-lined street and has been since the early 50's. Before that, it was primarily orange groves.

I'm curious to know who actually owned "Antique Ford Brakes". I may have known that person or, at least, their children.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Antique Ford Brakes was owned by Jack Sunderland back in the 1960-70's. He made the original style Rocky Mountain Brakes but changed the design to the present day AC brake design because they didn't stop well. All he had to do to fix them was elongate the rear support bolt hole so the band could move forward when the brakes were applied. This is called self energizing. But Jack didn't know this so he changed the design. The AC design is still sold today by Bud Williams of Rocky Mountain Brakes. These are instructions from the original reproductions not the originals. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Glen,thanks for your input on the Jack Sunderland RMBs. I have a new set that I picked up a few years ago but have hesitated to install because of this anchor point issue that I didn't fully understand. The rear support hole is 7/8 and the diameter of the shoulder on the rear bolt is 3/4. How much should I elongate the hole? Should it be elongated toward the top or equal both ways from the center? After doing this will I have a good reverse brake? Thanks again for your remarks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:32 am:

I have a set of his 26/27 Rocky Mtn brakes that are the AC type that I am fixing to change. But I am going with a loop instead of the stud on the band.
Glen thank you for the extra info about the band needing to be able to move on the post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:45 am:

I have an original Rocky Mountain instruction sheet. The one Nigel posted is in fact for the first run of reproduction Rocky Mountain Brakes, which Jack didn't quite get right. He also didn't get anything forward of the rear axle correct either! So much for doing research. I have originals on the three Model T's I own, and they stop very well, including backing. BTW, Jacks last name was Sunderlin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:09 am:

If anyone wants a copy of the original Rocky Mountain installation sheet I have, just let me know and I'll get some copies made. I also have pictures of all the original parts that I can email. Keep in mind, the originals were cable operated. All parts were bolt on, with no altering of anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Larry, put me down for a copy, I'll PM you with my contact info, thanks!

Mark Strange

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Larry, I'll take a copy too..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Larry I'd like a photo of your sheet and original brakes I could print out. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:09 am:

I just got and email from Larry Smith with some photos of Original RM Brake parts, I will resize them as necessary and post them in Steve's recent brake thread. Stand by!

:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration