Question regarding part of the mag. Help.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question regarding part of the mag. Help.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

The lead button/contact on the mag that the mag contact makes contact. This lead button is held in place with a triangle between the two top coils, which I'm going to assume is bake-o-lite. Mine fell apart. Leaving the contact button/contact just hanging in the air. Is there any repair for this? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

Tyrone, the triangular piece was I think Micarta board when new. It is riveted to the plate and can only be fixed by pulling the engine down. My opinion would be that if it has come to this it will probably be due for a rewound mag coil ring. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

I'm assuming like Keith that the mag is still in the car? you have plenty of room to repair it by taking the hogs head off, I made a new v block out of a kitchen teflon cutting board and instead of the rivet, just a small bolt with a nylex locking nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Keith, not what I wanted to hear. I don't mind the price of a rebuilt as much as I do having to tear it all down just for that. Thank you sir.

Frank, you are the good humor man. I pulled the hogs head for a band change when I noticed this piece on the mag was cracked. When I touched it, it simply fell apart. Thank you for the idea. I knew there had to be a fix. I keep in mind that the T was driven and fixed by people who had to fix it themselves in a lot of the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 04:31 am:

FYI: When replacing this triangular piece, be sure that the screw that holds the "button" does NOT make contact with what you hold the triangular piece on with. If it does you mag will be grounded out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 06:46 am:

When I got my truck I had the exact problem. I did what Frank did except I had access to an old mag to get a triangle from. I cut the triangle in the middle of the rivet hole so it could perch on my rivet and drilled the hole for the contact slightly bigger than the screw in it. When I put the contact on I superglued it and then to the rivet. Once the hogshead was replaced the pressure of the contact and the superglue held it all in place and the mag worked fine. I did recharge the magnets in the car for better fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:07 am:

If you screw around with the button height which is almost for sure here, do make sure that the mag post spring will not "stack" and put undue force and break or deform the mag post. Try fit the mag post without any screws and make sure you can push it down with finger pressure and not feel it "bottom" on the mag button. The 26/27 mag post may be harder to verify but if you have one of those you might want to ask someone who has a 26/27 for a measurement from top surface of hogshead down to the top surface of the button. If the contact spring stacks its windings before the magpost is down to its normal installed height and you attempt to pull the magpost down further anyway then you could be in for a bigger repair since you bend or break the magpost AND the repaired micarta pad.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration