Rear Axle Grease Seal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear Axle Grease Seal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 08:53 am:

Is there an easy way to remove the rear axle grease seal without destroying it? Tried to do a forum search, but it did not work on my computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 09:08 am:

Use a big screwdriver to pry up from the flared bottom edge. I put my Ford wrench handle against the backing plate to serve as a fulcrum. Pry on one side, then 90 degrees from there, etc until it pops free.

They come right off every time easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 09:09 am:

What type of grease seal? The outer metal cups with a felt seal inside can be hard to pull off if rusted stuck, but you'll probably succeed with a nice little crow bar applied alternatively on all sides. If not, try moderate heat (with a fire extinguisher close by)

If you have Ford's 1926/27 leather seals with steel prongs on the inside of the outer bearings - pull them out with a wire hook and don't reuse them, they're not as good as the modern neoprene inner seals available from the vendors. Chaffin's originals are best, also available from Lang's and probably some more.

If it's modern neoprene seals you want to reuse, then you may have to split the axle to get access to the rear side to be able to push them out undamaged with a round pipe a little smaller in diameter than the axle tube (with rivets heads inside)

(Message edited by Roger K on September 29, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Thanks for the help! The seals were the older type. The screwdriver method did the job in about 30 seconds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 11:43 am:

You can always look at the Ford Service Manual for that type of task.

...at times its better to have an assistant when working on the rear axle :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 11:49 am:

I use a slide hammer with a lipped piece ground to fit the circumference of the axle housing.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration