I was near reduced to tears upon seeing this.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I was near reduced to tears upon seeing this.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

I was near reduced to tears upon seeing this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-rust-/252106587792?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3 ab2b93e90&item=252106587792

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Every one we lose makes the ones that are left just that much more valuable. I can understand someone doing that, finishing the project and enjoying it for what it is. Sadly, too many get to the cutting stage and are never finished. I share your tears.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

Nothing that cant be undone. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

This is a good start for a speedster. The coupe body has been ruined but the price is low.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

An idiot that reads hot rod mags in the drug store soda ftn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

At that price it's pretty tempting. Even if you were to part it out there's more than the current bid's worth in parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

I know the guy who owns this car. He's a McPherson college graduate and die hard early Ford fan who hot rods a lot of cars. All in all a very talented and very nice guy. I too hate to see the chop but about everything I've seen that rolls through his shop gets chopped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Disgusting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

If we all liked the same thing we would all live in little blue houses, drive little blue cars, have little blue children, and all work at the same little blue factory. What make America great is the fact that we all can do and say what we want, where we want, and when we want. The person who listed this car is not an idiot because he enjoys a different hobby then we do. God bless America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

Obliviously he is not a fan of early Fords otherwise he would not destroy them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Make no mistake it is his car and he can do what he wants with it !............ however it doesn't stop me feeling very sad for the actual car it having survived all these years only to meet this demise.

If I met this chap (kharlan07) in the street one morning I could only say good morning Mr Butcher.

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

On the bright side -- the spare motor comes with a water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Actually, it looks kinda nice with a chopped top. Everything else seems to be in order. Restorable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

George, not only a water pump but a distributor as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Yep. Quite an upgrade. I bet there is an oil pump there too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

My partner has a 26 coupe for sale. You could drive it out of here with a Ruckstell for 4K. The same people who cry about hot rods will not pay that much to save it. I have an offer of 2800 for the body and title from a rodder. Looks like we will have a spare chassis to build into a speedster or part out. Still time to save it if someone puts their money where their heart is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

You're right, Erik. I advertised a nice 26 coupe body on here from Montana for what I thought was a fair price and probably would take less --- never got one offer or even an inquiry about it. Lotta people want all this stuff saved for "the hobby" but want somebody else to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

I'm going to agree with Dennis Seth. I have done my share of hot rodding and enjoy that hobby. I also enjoy old cars. My '82 Chevy pickup is powered by a Buick V8. Doing that swap was as much fun as working on the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:08 am:

-Dennis & John-
Am in agreement with you both! As a former GS-Buick drag racer, I've also built a 'rod' for the Autorama 'World-of-Wheels'. To hear the 'crack' of nitro-methane is equally enjoyable to hearing the 'putt-putt' of my Dad's TT. So is turning a wrench for either one. When there is a better product, or a better way, who can say 'they haven't???' Enjoy a hobby for what it can give you, rather than what someone else would want. Ever go to a car show and see two EXACTLY the same? Everyone has their own ideas and visualizations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:18 am:

Whoever did that it was their car and their money, looks like they ran out of the money first so there are a lot of parts that can be used

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:58 am:

That was a restorable car and still may be but it did have some rust issues and maybe more if it was looked at closely.

Making a rat rod or what ever out of it? Maybe.

But doing that or more to a T that was in still solid unrestored condition would be a real loss.

Those cars are the ones that we all should weep for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Erik - I sent you a PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Erik,
If I were still employed by the City, I'd be on that coupe in a heartbeat. Unfortunately the Wife's modern car is taking about $2K out of our budget right now & the property tax is going to be due in two months, so I will spread the word. That is quite a deal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

The ebay auction finally down loaded here (dial up!)
Well, if you leave the roof off, you can drive it with your head out the top, paint it up & put "Barnum & Bailey" on it, and you've got a clown car!
I've never understood "chopping"--it's hard enough to get headroom in a closed car, and then to cut it down even further?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

I have to agree with David D. about chopping.
It might be OK for a guy 4'9" to 5'2" but most folks its a no go.
I have a suspicion that the 26 Coupe in this thread was chopped to much before the guy realized it and now its time to sell it.

At least its listed as a 26 other!

At the very least to each his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

I saw some custom hot rod whatever show the other day where they chopped the top, then took a big swath out of the body and bed of an Econoline pickup. They screwed up a good truck and the guy couldn't even get in. They were talking about lowering the floorboards to get the seat down enough. End of show I never saw anyone inside. Either there was another episode later or they screwed up a good truck to practice cutting and welding. They had the motor in the bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Good point Corey W. Your observation ( the guy couldn't even get in ) says it all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

I have two complaints.

#1 I, too, hate to see restorable original cars modified to the point where they can't returned to original if later bought by a restorer, and if a car is chopped, its going to take a very skilled person to return it to original. If a person wants a chopped car, let him buy a later model convertible or a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.

#2 It disturbs me to hear people use the terms rat rod and gow job to refer to a POS. In the 1950's and 1960's, a hot rod was a hot rod, regardless of how professional a car was hot rodded. I still remember at the age of 12 or 13, seeing a blue, full fendered 27 coupe with all the original steel body parts, original seat (although upholstered in roll and tuck naugahyde, and a 283 Chevy engine owned by someone named Cruz in Watsonville, CA. Although I wished to restore my grandfather's 27 coupe, I thought this was the coolest looking hot rod I had seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

I think rat rod or "gow" job, whatever that is, is a fancy name for a car for people who like to build high horsepower drivetrains but don't like doing bodywork or searching for correct parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

It says sold, but the seller relisted. I wonder what happened? There was no reserve on it, or else it wouldn't have sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-Model-T-Ford-Coupe-/252110203063?vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 04:24 am:

That looks extremely easy to fix. There is much worse done to cars every day that you don't see.

Don't think you need talent to reverse that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 10:04 am:

If he saved the pieces he cut out it would be a easy fix with some time.
But I have never understood the chop top,bomber seat,no spring bit myself.
Dang,I have enough back trouble riding in my Cadillac for a 100 miles. These young folks will find out to soon that a spring and some cushioning will be needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 10:43 am:

No real loss to the hobby in my opinion. It's a car that would have taken 25k to make it worth 10k if restored original.

Let the rodders have those cars so maybe they'll leave the nicer ones alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Agree. That body is in poor shape for such extensive work anyway. Not worth restoring after what's been done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

My guess is that they sold it because they screwed up and chopped it too far. If a hot rodder is going to chop something they need to understand proper proportioning. The best chop job usually includes sectioning of the body and channeling over the frame to make it all look right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Terry wrote:

"#2 It disturbs me to hear people use the terms rat rod and gow job to refer to a POS.
In the 1950's and 1960's, a hot rod was a hot rod, regardless of how professional a car
was hot rodded. I still remember at the age of 12 or 13, seeing a blue, full fendered 27
coupe with all the original steel body parts, original seat (although upholstered in roll and
tuck naugahyde, and a 283 Chevy engine owned by someone named Cruz in Watsonville,
CA. Although I wished to restore my grandfather's 27 coupe, I thought this was the coolest
looking hot rod I had seen."

============================================

Rat rods are referred to as such because the "hot rod" scene we know/knew from the old
days was very organic and low budget and guys just hunted up what they could find and
engineer together to make a "hot rod".

As the years went by, the whole scene turned to bright colors, million-dollar paint jobs,
billet and chrome everything. They were slick, but they lost that organic charm that the
early stuff was all about. And thus was born the idea of going backwards and purposely
NOT making them pretty, leaving the rust and peeling paint of as-found pieces just as they
found them. Even going so far as to make stuff appear weathered and neglected.

Personally, there is little I disdain more about the old car scene than the billet-and-chrome
hot rod crew and their contrived "scene" of perpetual drive-in movies and burger stands. As
my Gunny would say ... "GROW THE FXCK UP !" :-) It lacks any historical perspective at all ...
they purposely remove all traces of the historical vehicle except a general shape, they bling
the cars up to absurd levels, and to make the whole pie taste like crap, they hijack the organic
50's hotrod scene as something they were a part of. Phony, trite and contrived at its worst.

For this reason, I welcome the rat rod "movement". At least the guys who will insist on no
small block Chevys and go to great lengths to make an old Dodge six work instead. At least
it is something interesting and different and comes from a place of not being the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:34 am:

The rat rods of old were that because they were built by guys with little talent, money, and equipment. Nonetheless, they were car enthusiasts and enjoyed what they did. I bet most of them would have liked their rides to have great paint and lots of chrome goodies and nice upholstery. Today people remember those cars and the fun they had with them and so a movement was born. A new generation of low budget builders are getting in on the fun too. Speaking of low budget, we had a couple guys interested in the 26 coupe I mentioned at the top of this thread. They threw out lowball offers. It seems that people want to save model T's, as long as they can be bought CHEAP. This car may have a date with the rodder's torch. We tried.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 07:17 am:

Sorry was posted in the wrong place.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/577675.html?1444429422

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 09:19 am:

It would be great fun to have. Just not my kind of fun.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Erik B, It would sadden me to know that car goes to a rodder, but I cannot fault you about it. Unfortunately, it is what it is. I imagine this is the same coupe I saw pictures of about a year ago that your friend bought and you were trying to sell for him? I can't buy it, wish I could. Not wanting to drift the thread off too much. But the same political forces pushing many people to not become educated or to not be "responsible" and do the right thing have been hurting millions of people financially for too long now. If our social direction doesn't change soon? Everyone in the world will be paying dearly for it. The loss of a thousand or so butchered common model Ts will be nothing compared to many of the other things we will all lose.

Now. Back to an otherwise interesting and enjoyable discussion about differing tastes and hobby directions.
Drive carefully, but do enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Have had inquiries from more guys. I think we can keep this a model T. Compromise will make things work.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Erik,
That's great to hear, as I'm in the same situation as Wayne is. Trick for me now is to just hang onto the stuff I have (well, and get rid of stuff that I really will never get around to!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

I have model A friend and he says he hates to see model A and model T s turned into hot rods but it does give the rest of us a source for parts.

Tim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration