Mystery T Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mystery T Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:51 am:

I am interested in buying a T engine equipped with a BB Rajo head. It was removed from what appears to be a 1915 car about 9 years ago and sold on eBay and remained unused thereafter. The original car was located in Indiana. From the photos it appears that the engine was under repair with starter problems. Canít tell much else. Due to circumstances, there is no knowledge of the details of the engine, particularly what the condition and internal construction is.
By this thread I am searching for someone who might know of this engine and can provide the details.

Rajo BB
Rajo BB 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 06:21 am:

Recycle message

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:16 am:

If it was mine I would take it apart and look inside to see what's good and what's bad.

That intake manifold is not made properly. The carb mounting flange needs to be rotated 90 degrees and welded on properly so that the stock T carb linkage will work the way Ed Winfield designed it. Properly orientated the float bowl is outboard and the barrel valve is on a fore - aft rotational axis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 07:05 am:

Royce,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, taking it apart would resolve my question. But it is now in a box and it is not mine. That is why I was looking for someone who might be familiar with it and could give that information.
With regard to the Winfield mounting...not sure how to resolve this. The shown throttle linkage is a haywire arrangement as is the rest of the installation. I don't see any easy way to reorient the carb...but a sanitary linkage would still work.
How does that intake manifold heat work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 08:39 am:

The Winfield carbs did not use any carburetor heat. The choke assembly is made to accept a ball shaped silencer and is drilled for set screws to hold the silencer in place.

Here's how the carb is supposed to be oriented:

It would be very simple to cut off the carb flange and weld it on properly oriented so the linkage works the way it was designed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 09:59 am:

I'm not familiar with Winfields, but it looks like the inlet *elbow* can be rotated to any position. That will allow the carb to be rotated 90 degrees to better orient the throttle lever.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 10:35 am:

The intake manifold on the BB might be homemade.
Here's one version of what the originals looked like: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/531724.html?1428465054

rajo intake

The mid port going to from the head to the intake is an exhaust port - originally some of the exhaust went through the head, through the intake for some preheating and out through a small pipe under the engine. But that was designed during the 20's when the gas was mixed with kerosene and needed more preheating than nowadays. Maybe the present intake was made in modern times when preheating isn't as needed and maybe it has a closed off tube inside that heats up somewhat with the exhaust but never lets it out like the original?

By the way, the orientation of the carburetor may have to be considered both regarding fitness of the float bowl to the frame and regarding how to fit a generator. It's easier to rearrange the linkage than changing those other parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

To all who responded...thanks. Appreciate the insight regarding the Winfield and the manifold and heating. However there still is no information on the origin of this engine. I suspect that I am dealing with ancient history and everything is forgotten or ignored.
Thanks anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 09:02 am:

I like that original Rajo intake manifold...would like to find one. Any around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 04:12 am:

I've got a Rajo intake of a slightly different design, same function with a narrow secondary exhaust pipe though.

Would be willing to trade for other interesting accessory/speedster stuff, but it's heavy and shipping Sweden/USA is likely a deal killer :-(

I1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 06:58 am:

Roger,
That manifold is neat...too. I have stuff to trade, but they are all heavy too. Looks like mission impossible...or impractical.
Tak, John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration