OT - Eating right for the time that remains ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Eating right for the time that remains ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Last Thursday evening I pulled into my friend Tom's driveway outside Viroqua, WI ...

Tom has about 2 good years left - he has terminal cancer.

Earlier in his life he drank to excess & never paid attention to his diet.

He is certain those choices combined with genetic factors brought him to this point in his life.

We worked - hard - cutting trees on steep slopes.

Friday thru Monday.

I shared his diet & we talked about Life at length.

I decided to make some long overdue changes.

No more ....

Wheat
Potatoes
Rice
Sugar
Corn
Bread

Lots more ....

Vegetables
Nuts
Lean unprocessed meat
Fish
Seeds

If my friend who has limited time can do it then so can I.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Jim, I'm sorry to hear of your friends situation. A lot of us have lost family and friends to cancer. Every time I hear a story like Tom's I think back to the times I watched members of my family slowly waste away because of the horrible disease. They always go too soon. Give Tom my best wishes and I'll pray God gives him strength to get through this. God bless you too Jim, I believe you're a great friend for Tom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Hi Jim -

The American diet is horrible. This country pays a huge price in the externalities of the food industry, like health care costs and time lost from work, for the way we eat. Practically everything you buy in a container at the grocery store has:

* sugar or high fructose corn syrup
* salt
* empty calories
* fat

Be advised that any terms like "natural" or "enriched" on the package are just marketing tools and have nothing to do with nutrition. Fast foods and processed foods are going to be the cigarette smoking of the 21st century.

There's a couple movies on Netflix you might be interested in:

- Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

- Cowspiracy

Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Tom had a couple books for me to read but I did not feel the need to do that ....

One was " The Wheat Belly ".

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Hi all,
I will share my observations.....
half of my family is All American and the other is Greek, still in Greece.The American side seems to suffer from cancer more and other health issues but the Greek side isnt. Read up on the Mediterranian diet- Greek food in my books --and you can read the benefits. Jim ,you are taking positive steps , keep it up.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:43 am:

All too true. Sometime in the fairly recent past I read an article that said for the first time American infants born today will have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. This simple fact is directly attributed to fast food.

IMHO the two key things are balance and moderation. This theory applies to more than diet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:46 am:

I have met folks who have made lifestyle changes,
like Steve in Kouts, IN, and dramatically improved their health.

All of us have a clicking clock - few know when time will run out.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

I agree that eating right will improve your health. But, I also feel that you should enjoy what you put into your body. Being diabetic I have to watch what I consume but I don't take it to excess. If I ate everything the Dr told me to I would hate just about every meal. I still consume wheat and sugar products, Just not as much as I used to. I keep my day to day sugar between 100 and 130, My A1C stays around 5.8 to 6.1 which is ok for a diabetic on insulin. My triglycerides are a bit higher that I would like but that's a by product of my diabetic's. I had a friend that died from cancer many years ago. His motto was. Eat everything that is bad for you and die. Eat right and hate the food you eat and still die so enjoy your life while you have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Will and others,

As you Already Know....Please be careful out in the shop when working on the Model T. Many times it requires the use of a BFH.

My Uncle was a diabetic from birth and dropped a hammer on his toe while working on his Model T. He later lost that foot. Be careful and take precautions as you probably already do but a little encouragement is always good!

Take Care

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

No one wants to hear that they only have so much time to live. It puts a strain on one's mental and physical health. My Dad worked harder in one year of his life than I have worked in all 67 of mine and he died at 77. My older brother turns 78 this year(and BTW he just bought a restored 26 touring and is a new T owner). I've been fooling with them for 50 years and he finally got the 'bug'. But getting back to the original subject, we all have to go sometime. My philosophy has always been, 'when its your time to go; its your time'. I've already had a quad bypass. Life is to short not to enjoy it. There's no such thing as too much spare change or too much horsepower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Terry you are right. Life is short! My Father in Law was in the 1st or 2nd wave at the Canal (if I have to explain that, you would not understand). He would not talk much about it, but he said that he told himself that if he got off there alive he would eat anything he wanted when he wanted. He did, but so what. I think it was owned to him. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Mom always assumed that someday she'd be a widow. After all, Dad was seven years older. But he took care of himself and she didn't, and he outlasted her by a couple of years. So far, I like being alive. Like everybody, I was dealt a hand of genetic cards at birth. There's nothing I can do about that. Maybe I'm holding a royal flush, or maybe it's aces and eights. But at this time I don't intend to fold. I'll play out the hand and try to avoid foolishness that will worsen my odds.

Some of you may remember a boy who was on the forum for awhile a few years ago until hostility from some people persuaded him he wasn't welcome, and he gave it up. We've kept in touch since, and I think it was about a year ago that he griped about being overweight. I wrote this for him: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG94.html.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Steve, Your cartoon is hilarious.

Dan, I'm a baby boomer, but I know you were talking about Guadalcanal, not the Panama Canal. I had a cousin (old enough to be my father) who was tail gunner in a B-17 (if I'm not mistaken) over Bougainville. His bomber was attacked from the rear by a Jap plane. He died in his position. It wasn't until his plane landed and all the other crew disembarked that they realized they'd been hit and he'd been killed. He's buried in the 'Punchbowl'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Terry: That remark I made was not aimed at you, it was for the world in general. It seems that our people have forgotten what our fore fathers went thru for us. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stahl on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

WWW.SANAVIEW.COM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

I have outlived my father by almost six years, and his father by almost five. I'm not going to change anything. It's been a ball. If I croak tomorrow, it will be with a smile on my face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

I know I will go before my father who is still around. I like to enjoy things in life. Looking at my poor father and what has happened to him. While he can basically do everything for himself, he tries to get by doing as little as possible. You can't carry on a conversation with him because he says inappropriate things and makes no sense. So, this is what I have to look forward to later in life? For my kids to avoid me the way they avoid their grandfather because he makes them uncomfortable!
No thanks...........

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Steve -- That was a wonderful message of encouragement to your young friend. Has he made any progress?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

As a three time loser who is in long term remission(yeah, they will never tell you that you're cured), I can attest to the fact that no one really knows exactly why some people get cancer and others don't. Some is probably due to environmental factors, some due to genetics,some to lifestyle, and a significant portion to just bad luck. My mother was the poster child of healthy living and eating, yet she developed colon cancer and died from it. My cancer had no relation to her's since I have no blood relation being adopted. There was no history of my mother's cancer ever in her family, and of mine none in my blood relations. You can do what you can: avoid tobacco use, eat healthy, exercise, avoid excessive alcohol consumption. But there are simply no guarantees that will prevent you getting cancer of some type. Take every day as a gift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

When I was a kid, eggs were good for you. During most of my adult life the medical consensus was they would kill you before your time. Now they're good for you again.

Be careful that you don't get caught up in the latest food fad.

The Roman's said it: "everything in moderation"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

My dad, R.V. Anderson II, took good care of himself his whole life. Ate right, played and coached just about every sport there was, walked, golfed, swam, the works. A Purdue-educated chemical engineer; the space shuttle and the engines used on the 747 would not be possible without his work and inventions. With good reason, he was looking forward to a healthy old age. Now at nearly eighty he's still much stronger than the most vigorous young staff in the nursing home where we had to put him when he could no longer remember how to walk, talk, or feed himself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Efforts have been made to curtail the use of antibiotics in meat production, but so far, the industry is falling far short of making a dent in the situation.
According to a new report 9,10,11 "Chain Reaction: How Restaurants Rate on Reducing the Use of Antibiotics in Their Meat Supply," produced by six consumer interest, public health, and environmental organizations, most fast food restaurants are still serving meat and poultry raised on antibiotics.
Most also lack a publicly available policy to limit the use of such meats. Of the 25 restaurant chains included in the report, the following 20 received a "Failing" score:
Subway
Starbucks
KFC
Domino's Pizza
Wendy's
Burger King
Denny's
Olive Garden
Papa John's
Taco Bell
Pizza Hut
Applebee's
Sonic
Chili's
Jack in the Box
Arby's
Dairy Queen
IHOP
Outback
Little Caesars

Only Two Fast Food Restaurants Earned an 'A Grade

Chipotle's and Panera Bread both earned "A" ratings. According to the report, they are the only two fast food restaurants that publicly affirm the majority of the meats served come from antibiotic-free producers.

One-third of Panera's turkey and 100 percent of its pork and chicken is antibiotic-free. The company is also reviewing its policy for beef, although its primary beef supplier does not use antibiotics, and its secondary supplier uses antibiotics for medical necessity only.

Chipotle's policy prohibits routine use of antibiotics, and the company states this policy applies to at least 90 percent of all meats served. As for the remaining three restaurants, the report notes that:
"Chick-fil-A and McDonald's have established policies limiting antibiotic use in their chicken with implementation timelines, while Dunkin' Donuts has a policy covering all meats but has no reported timeline for implementation. ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Just before he died, my grandfather (born 1901) emphatically told me:

"Never eat blue food"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Dan, No offense taken. I was just replying that I knew what you meant by the "Canal".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Thanks for the interest & ongoing dialogue.....

Tom told me that his hope was that others might benefit from his experience & have a better life as a result.

I knew I had to change my diet for quite awhile.

I guess I found my motivation in my friend.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

It may not be good for you, but George Clipner and I have a hard time driving past a B-B-Q joint. He in Kansas City and me in Texas. Brisket, Ribs, Sausage, and occasionally chicken, turkey or ham.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson---SW Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Jim, you were pretty close to my stomping grounds. I am about 15 miles from Viroqua. In fact my wife grew up there on a farm on W hwy56.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

Terry - BBQ has been my downfall ...

Paul - you live in some beautiful country !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

You know there is nothing wrong with taking care of 1's self. But that night 10 years ago when a Freightliner about took my phat a-- outa here,it would not have mattered what I had ate 30 year before.I would could have been just as dead.
Moderation, it is when you eat enough to enjoy but not so much you feel like you are about to explode.
Don't eat steak and taters 3 times a day. once a week on Saturday evening.Grow a garden. You will have a natural tendency to eat a mater sandwich instead of going to burger king. Hey that big red thing is free and bread is cheap! Just put on plenty of Dukes mayo.
We aint promised the next 5 minutes. I aint turning down a good bowl of cornbread and milk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Mack -- I love your posts! There are a few folks on here whose posts I always read, and you are one of them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Mack,

Good point.

Sitting & driving for extended periods certainly does not help my situation.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

My Dad is 83. He has not been particularly overweight in many decades and his cholesterol was normal, yet he had a heart attack and bypass surgery 25 years ago. then about 4-5 weeks ago, he had another heart attack. He was already too thin, but they told him he had to change his diet, mostly that he can have practically NO sodium. His new diet has him loosing even more weight. My Mom has her own share of medical problems and can hardly cook anymore. She is already way too thin and has problems with her appetite. Eating out had gotten to be a regular occurrence, since she is usually too weak to stand up long enough to cook a meal. Now they cannot do that much anymore either. Both continue to loose weight. Daddy has been doing pretty good about his sodium intake, but just the other day they had him back in the hospital with fluid around his heart. They had told him to weigh every morning and call the doctor if he gained more than 2 pounds in a day or 5 in a week, as it was a sign of retaining fluid. Well, how'd that work? He's loosing muscle and fat and gaining fluid and it's cancelling each other out and he hates what he has to eat.

Now, I don't want them to do anything to hasten their demise, but dammit, if the new diet won't keep you out of the hospital, why bother? My Dad is going to die form congestive heart failure. That could be today or it could be a couple of years. All I know is if it were me, I would rather die earlier happy than later miserable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries Lexington, KY on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

About 30 years ago a co-worker and were sitting in the office when he pulled out a pack of Camel's with two cigarettes left. He suggested we smoke the last two and quit. I did, he did not and left us 20 years ago. 3 years ago I lost a younger brother who smoked 2 packs a day. One time saying YES paid off for me.

I think of Woody and my brother often.

It is mostly about choice but not always. Maybe I can make it to 100 as mom did in June. Would give a lot more time to be associated with Model T's and A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

What is wrong with rice potatoes and corn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

They are starches and are high in carbohydrates for people on that kind of diet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

The "scientific" studies come and go. Fortunately, I have a wife who is a good cook and we eat almost every meal at home. My motto is eat some of everything unless a particular food causes an allergic or other unpleasant reaction. Control the portions and try to balance between proteins, starches, fruits and vegetables. Weigh often and if the weight increases a pound or two, cut the portions a bit. Eat only one cookie when they are available. Rarely drink soda or alcohol. Drink a lot of water.

Anyway, I have outlived all four grandparents, three uncles and still have a few years to go to catch up with my parents. I have already lived without a heart attack or bypass longer than my dad did.

Prayer helps a lot. We can't do anything about the genes we inherit. We also can't prevent unusual things such as accidents, storms, earthquakes, war etc. We shouldn't get conceded because when God decides to take us, He will.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

I believe lifestyle choices can encourage or suppress tendencies we inherit. I also believe, for whatever reasons, we are largely subject to the luck of the draw.

My dads' father drank enough to float the USS New Jersey and smoked Toscanellis (very strong little black Italian cigars). The smoke would peel the paint off the walls. Then, he'd chop up the butts and smoke that in his pipe. It made your eyes water. He made it, in pretty good shape, to 88.

My mother's sister ate right, exercised, never smoked, never drank to excess, and got her rest. At age 65 she was diagnosed with cancer of the liver, spleen and pancreas. She lasted about 90 days from diagnosis.

To some extent, we get what we get. Don't do stupid stuff, but enjoy life as long and fully as you can!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

After reading Sam Humphries' post (after I answered Kep) I would like to relate the situation of my older brother's wife. She is 73. Until she had a massive stroke a few years ago, she was a healthy (so she thought) and vibrant woman who raised, breed, and showed quarter horses. She, also, had smoked almost a pack of cigarettes a day since she was 18. It finally caught up with her. Her carotid arteries blocked and she had a massive stroke. It didn't kill her, but it might as well. She is a 'vegetable' now, requiring a 24 hour sitter especially while my brother works. They went to Russia and Mexico for experimental stem cell transplants but they didn't help. Despite all warnings, smokers continue to smoke thinking, it can't happen to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

I would rather die choking on a thick rare steak then a rice cake any day. No one knows when their number is up. I have lost family and friends to many health problems and issues, cancer, heart, sugar, etc. I eat and drink what I want but in moderation. I had a friend who was a real health nut; died after being hit by a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

Kep,

Grains today are not what they started out to be.

Wheat - Corn - Rice have been domesticated and modified to increase production & harvest by mechanical method.

Along the way - they have lost their identity.

We have effectively doubled our lifespan over the course of evolution - the second half of our lives are often accompanied by chronic disease.

Diet - Lifestyle - Environment are factors we can control.

That is not easy to do ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

The attached poop & Urine Chart is serious fun and not meant to be a vulgar joke.

It helps to get people talking about a sensitive or potentially embarrassing topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Sorry it came out so blurry. There a more readable chart on my web site at DrPoane.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

O.K. Robert ...

This thread is headed in a different direction with that BONUS ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

There are a whole bunch of BAD puns coming to mind right now, but I will take the high road (above the outhouse!) and not bring them up. . . .
Actually glad you have a more legible copy available, Robert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Freighter Jim,
Giving up bread when you are sitting next to a loaf of nine-grain bread is very hard to do.
It is all more than half wheat but I just love a slice every day.

As to people who live a long time eating junk food I will say this.
My sister-in law never looks in either direction before she crosses the street. Never been hit, 74 years old.
Does that mean you will live just as long if you stop looking too?

When my time comes I don't want it to be soon. I will work to delay my time as long as I can. I am having too much fun to go now.
I do eight hours of ballroom dancing a week, sometimes more. And I don't hang about. I am a serious dancer. I have a date with a lovely middle aged woman to dance on my hundredth birthday! Only 22 years and 4 months to go....if she doesn't die first...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 01:05 am:

my uncle will be 98 in dec. he eats a lot of candy, chocolote and icecream puts ketchup on every thing drinks a big bottle of brandy a week. gallons of coffie. all he will say about ww2 is he has been shot at and shot at others,he came back from the war in a hospital ship and spent time in a hospital wont talk about it.he rode his motor cycle until his 80s.he still drives his pic is on my profile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 04:36 am:

So heirloom crops should be fine. i'm running out of them though, they die faster than i can replace them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Um,this tasted good!

oiled and preheated at 450 cast iron frying pan
2 cups cornbread mix.
Dash of salt.
1 jumbo egg
1/2 medium onion
1 8 oz can of whole kernel corn
add milk and stir till a good soupy mixture.
Pour in pan,it should sizzle when it is poured in
bake at 450 for about 21 to 24 minutes.
Cool down and eat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Looks good and the recipe "sounds" yummy.
For those of us with Celiac Disease, who have had to go to a Gluten free diet, recipes often need modification. And sometimes "it jes aint the same".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:46 am:

This is a good sunday lunch
1 pound pinto beans
1 pack of country ham chunks with fat trimmed off
salt and pepper
use spring water in the pot instead of tap water or well water.City water or some well water like ours,ruins the flavor of the beans.
put on low with PLENTY of water at about 9 pm all night,turn up to high about 8 am next morning and check water level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Mack, when Anja had her second surgery and could no longer stand for any length of time, I became the default cook in our household. I discovered the crock pot right away and it was my standby for a while. I gradually included the stovetop and then the oven, but still like stuff from the crockpot. Problem now is that there are almost no crockpot recipes for one person. When I make something in it, I tend to eat it for two meals and then freeze the rest for later. Most of it is better the second time around anyway.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

I am trying to learn some cooking myself. I am tired of going to the local grill as the menu aint changed.
I grow a garden and last year for example I gave away about 9 bushels of maters.
Which I would do again,I like giving garden stuff to friends but I decided, "Hey, i bet this stuff would be good if I would COOK it myself
So this year,due to drought,I aint had much.
But what I had in maters,sweet peppers, a few hot-peppers,and onions,I make what I call a spaghetti sauce base. When I want spaghetti I thaw out a container,brown some hamburger and get a small can of mushrooms and I have some GOOD sauce.I have enough for all winter now.
I will have to post a pic of that.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Mack,It would be better if you sent samples!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

How 'bout a nice tall lager with a bourbon chaser? Sound good, John?

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Just had to share this in light of the current conversation! ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

Dick Lodge,

Yes, the crock pot is a wonderful device in any kitchen. I love mine. It is truly one of the best culinary inventions of the last century, along with the Model T Manifold cooker! Bon Appetite!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Robert
The doctor that takes care of my internals has told me to stop and look at all bowl movements. They can tell a lot of how one is doing. I always check for blood(cancer runs in the family). I look for unusual patterns changes in time and frequency and consistency. Since he has gone online with his practice I can just email any changes. He or someone on his staff reads them and in a day or 2 I get an answer, or if serious enough they make an appointment for me.

Thanks for the chart and information.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Thanks Bud, That should rest any court case on a meat and taters diet.
Needless to say her kids probably didn't go hungry either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:19 am:

I live alone, surviving on 1500.00 a month social security. Needless to say in order to pursue this old car hobby that I love, myself and the dogs survive on pork and beans, bologna, and chili for most of our meals The only exception is I like a whole wheat bagel smothered with cream cheese with my camp ( perked ) coffee in the mornings.
I say live life as it comes and enjoy every minute. In my case it's way to late for me to die young. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

After a mild stroke six months past that put me in the hospital for the first time in my life I am paying far more attention to my health.
One of the first things learned is ask questions! My daughter a nurse practitioner probably helped my issue more then the hospital doctors. They were treating me for a fall in my bathroom breaking three ribs not for a stroke effecting my lower left leg causing the fall. I am nearly a hundred percent recovered and can hardly wait to get away from blood thinner. I think all the healthy eating in my younger years off set bad habits in older years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

I can not understand why people think potatoes, wheat, rice and even sugar are so bad. Everything is bad in excess, even abstinence. Sugar is one of the purest sources of calories there is available, and only harmful if used in excess. One reason for putting up preserves in the past was a way to make pure sugar more palatable, most jams and jellies could be made with a fraction of the sugar used in most recipes. Bear in mind, you need calories to survive and to work you need even more. For the most part, the problem with the above mentioned foods is what the processes or consumer puts on them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Gustaf, let me be sure I understand this. The guy from Idaho is telling us that potatoes are good for us? :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Do you see a problem in that logic, Dick? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Actually, Mike, one of my favorite accompaniments to dinner is a baked potato with salt, pepper, butter, sour cream and chives... so no, no problem. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

I am not a potato grower, and am no longer a sugar producer, so I am not obligated to push either one, but potatoes are an excellent food, and sugar has no added ingredients, it is pure calories. Granted, you can not live on calories alone, but you need them to work, and vitamins and nutrients can be found in most natural foods. Once they have been through a factory, all bets are off. I rather have my baked potato with a bit of salt (you can not live with out it) and some real margarine (not the fake stuff they try to make taste like butter, if I liked butter, I would not eat margarine).

What everyone needs to understand is that not everyone is alike, many foods that most people eat are poisonous to me, but I do not tell them not to eat them. Unfortunately, many of my favorite vegetables are on my banned list due to high iron content.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Where does Spam fit in on this ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Spam makes pretty good dog food, or steals your pass word

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:03 am:

Gillian mckieth is 56, she has bad case of scoliosis. She is in constant pain.
The other lady picture by her above is 55. She is a cook that knows about healthy foods.
Picturing the two together is very unfair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Very few Americans have any trouble getting enough calories. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:54 am:

That is true, Mr. Jelf, but most of the calories that Americans eat come with other unhealthy ingredients. A lot of people will tell us that it is sugar that makes carbonated beverages unhealthy, but it is everything else that makes it unhealthy, and that is why a sugar free carbonated beverage is worse than a naturally sweetened beverage, but people have been convinced that it is the sugar that is bad, so they consume larger quantities of something worse thinking they are drinking healthy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

The secret is no secret at all! You just need good genes, good luck and everything else in moderation, except of course Model T's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Val has hit this nail squarely on the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

No exceptions, even model Ts in moderation, too many and you do not have enough time to enjoy them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:44 am:

this is why you grow a garden. So you can pull you some onions,bell peppers, some Sun Sugar maters and some Roma's and put them on a stick and grill them with your chicken!. UM good.!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 11:56 am:

I have lost weight & my belly is visibly shrinking.

I have more energy & a clearer mind.

It has not been a real big change - except for cutting out the bread & what passes for grains.

For those interested:

@ http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/wheat-belly-diet-review

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

All fad diets are harmful, only a healthy lifestyle will work. Fad diets give fast results but do not give lasting results. More often than not, the real solution is to know what you are eating. Most Americans can not tell the difference between being hungry and being thirsty and most Americans think that the solution to thirst comes from a bottle or a can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, October 19, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

All my life I have been told I eat to much salt,use to much mayo and such. "Oh you are going to have a congested heart.".
In 2014 when i went to the hospital about my chest pain of course they did 1 of those high dollar stress test. That was hell to put it mildly with that chemical going thru my veins. 152 beats a minutes.
Anyhow,heart was clear as a bell and I eat a hamburger sometimes, I eat french frys but it was clear.
I can not remember what they called my problem but it has something to do with the second bump happening to soon.And heartburn from to many Goody powders.:-(

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration