1926 Coil Box Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Coil Box Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Coils not buzzing, and I'm reading all the threads on how to diagnose and will go through all those steps shortly. But initial newbie question . .
my coil box has no lid. Easy to see and work on coils, but does the lid need to be on and tightly secured to create a circuit or ground? I read somewhere about holding the coils down to make contact and I want to make sure I'm not missing something obviouse.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Robert the coil box will work without a lid but it helps keep moisture out and keeps the coils seated in the box when driving on rough roads. First start simple get a wire with an alligator clamp on one end and a probe on the other attach the alligator clamp to a good ground turn the switch to bat and touch the probe to the terminals on the timer one at a time if the coils "Buzz" when you do this then the timer is faulty. If they still do not "buzz" then check your electrical connections make they are clean and tight :-) if that doesn't do it then check the switch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

Fantastic.

It looks like Bubba put in a simple toggle switch next to the amp gage. I presume he was running on straight battery? No way to switch over from battery to mag? Car has a starter and foot starter button. Put new 6v battery in and motor and starter turn over. No buzing, so I'm starting on that before I go to carb.

Thanks for the simple test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

If it is a simple toggle switch it may be bad. 6 volt systems tend to draw more amps that 12 or 24 volt systems so a toggle designed for 12 volt may fail prematurely :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Got it bussing. Foot starter switch works and with the toggle switch on, it starts the coils bussing after it cranks a rev or two.

I've pulled the sediment bowl and there is a loose nut or bolt inside the gas tank, so I'm pulling the tank and cleaning out the fuel system next.

Might just get this think started tomorrow.

I've got the coil box lid with one bad clip on it, but if I can get it to seat and stay clipped, it's better than nothing and will keep the coils dry. Saw some lides on eBay, but it's not a priority right now.

Thanks for the help.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration