O. T. Just got some Hercules engine Rods done

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: O. T. Just got some Hercules engine Rods done
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

When I think Hercules I think of the hit and miss engine kind, Are all them for one engine? I've never heard of a six cylinder Herc. They look amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Look like they'd make good stroker rods for a T. (grin). There're beautiful, like all your work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

When I think Hercules I think of the hit and miss engine kind, Are all them for one engine? I've never heard of a six cylinder Herc. "END QUOTE"

Ya, Will, Hercules made all kinds of engines, of 6's, and 4's.

They were used as power units, forklifts, sand blasters, generators, Tractors, ect.

They made as many as

Continental done t5he same thing.

Thank's

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

We Used to have a Huff Payloader with a Hercules 6 cylinder engine. Was VERY difficult to get parts for it, but did manage to get it rebuilt. A few years later my brother (who now runs the resort) failed on some maintenance thing, maybe with the hydraulics & decided he didn't want to plow snow in the winters himself (which is mostly what we used it for) and sold it off for less than the rebuild!
I recall it being a very robust and reliable engine, although I think it was never than the one for which you've done the rods--I don't remember if our rods were babbit or inserts! Too many years ago (probably 20 at least, by now).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Here is a photo from the Hercules files showing you one of the 6 cylinder Hercules engines. They built Gas and diesel, 1 to 8 cylinder engines, with a range of 4 to 500 horsepower. They went out of business in 1999.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Wow, that sure does look familiar. even some 20-30 years later! So they lasted as late as 1999? Hmm, think that's about when we did the rebuild!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Here is a image of the DJX 6 cylinder diesel engine. I think the art work was fantastic! This engine was introduced in the early 1930's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

worked on Hercules engines in the navy. well built engines.KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Herm
What is the color coding of the yellow dots? Some rods have 4, some 5 and some none. Balancing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

Jon, they all have dots, some are just turned over.

The dots number the rod, just saves time for me.

Thanks

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Here is the connecting rod department at the Hercules factory.By the Happy Birthday to the Model T today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

My trucks have the 4 cyl. Hercules in them. Mine is a model OX but the 6's were JX models in the 1930's. Hard to find parts now but back in the day they were everywhere.
Picture below is not my engine but is another Indiana with a model OX in it. My pictures are in another computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 08:00 am:

Bob, Do you have a copy of this ? Date March 1-1930. I wish I could still get one for that price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Bruce,
I have that one and many others but not the parts. Wish parts lasted as long as paper does!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration