OT - Got My Flu Shot Today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Got My Flu Shot Today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

It's that time of year again, today I went to the Walgreens in the next town south (Hillsboro is too small to have its own Walgreens) and got my flu shot. They have two types, one that protects against three strains, and another that protects against four strains. They were both covered by my insurance, so I got the four strain shot.

So, if any of you catch the flu at Hershey this year, you can't blame it on me! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

I thought you could still catch it; you just won't have as severe a case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

It's possible. If you are exposed to a strain that the shot covers, you should be fully protected.

However, if you are exposed to a slightly different strain, the shot may only offer partial protection (won't be as severe a case).

If you're really unlucky and get exposed to a strain completely different than the CDC expected and designed the shot for, then you may not be protected at all.

The info document that came with the shot (yes, I read it!) says that the shot offers no protection against diseases other than the flu (like, that isn't obvious??!) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

I haven't had a FLU shot or the FLU since I retired from the Navy 22 years ago. I see no benefit since the last time I had one I spent 5 days in the hospital :-( JMHO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

I don't bother with any of that stuff.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

I believe in 'em completely. Been getting 'em for the last 25 years or more and ever since barely get as much as a cold. Before that, I'd get three a season and they'd knock me off my feet. We did get that nasty flu last year right after attending a dinner at some friends who just happened to have 34 family members over the day before, most of which came from a county with the highest rate, including deaths, from it! We all got it! But, it wasn't nearly as severe as others without the shot experienced. We'll get the shot again, in a couple of weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

'Gotta go along with Tim Wrenn on this one. Until my wife and I began getting flu shots three years ago, I could count on catching a nasty cold at least three times a year, sometimes more. And I mean NASTY, wish-I-could-just-die, life sux, kind of colds. A friend of ours works in a hospital and is a walking Typhoid Mary, carrying all kinds of germs on her person. Whenever my wife and I got together with her and her husband, I knew within three days I'd be sick with a cold or the flu. With friends like that...
But since getting the flu shots, I haven't had anything even resembling a cold since 2012, nor has my wife. We are believers and will continue taking the shots until they are no longer effective! They work! Your results may vary.
Marshall, survivor of the "Cold War"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Terry Bradshaw scared the poop out of me about shingles but when i tried to get it they can not because of the shots to hold cancer in check! I will try to get the flue shot Tim,you made a believer out of me! Heating season started last night so now it's carry corn,burn corn!Turned 70 yesterday and i still don't know what i want to be when i grow up?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

October is the month that all employees in our health system need to have a flu shot or lose our job. We are talking 20,000 employees.

I do not necessarily believe in it, but it does not hurt and it may help others. Certain people are just more susceptible (weak immune systems maybe) than others. And an infant does not have an immune system as good as ours. That is why they recommend that all parents and grandparents receive a shot.

You may not need it, but think of others around you in case you are just a carrier.

Late October is usually better because the flu season isn't until after the snow flies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Why do you get a flu shot during property tax season? Are they connected somehow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Belated birthday wishes, Bud :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

I get mine each year at the local VA hospital where I get all my medical care. They encourage it, and it's free (or paid for, I guess). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

I got mine today, too!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson---SW Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

No flu shots in our house. My mother in law who was a nurse, died from gbs syndrome caused by the flu shot. She died a horrible death, on a vent, as her body slowly shut down over a years time. She was in her early 40's. It was Mayo clinic that figured it out, but there was nothing they could do. I found it interesting that now on my sons permission slip for flu vaccine, it now asks if anyone in the family had gbs syndrome. Needless to say, none for him either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

At work, they give me a choice, I can have the flu shot each year, or I can wear a mask whenever I'm at work. The shot is free and provided by the hospital that I work at. I around enough sick people that I want all the immunity I can get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:07 am:

I'm going for mine. I sure that in 1918 if it had been available folks would have scrambled to get it. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Happy Birthday Bud!! You sound a bit like my profile quip.. "we may have to grow old..but we don't have to grow UP"! I plan on being a "kid" until I drop dead. And I'm gonna play as hard as I can until it MAKES me drop dead!! Ken & Marshall, I absolutely stand by my feelings on the shot and it's other benefits. But, I don't hold any criticism for those who feel it's not suited for them. Everybody's different, fortunately I guess for me and the wife, it works well and safely. My friend who can't drive anymore that I take around the T several times a month got the shingles shot, and lo and behold, he came down with very mild shingle symptoms. I think it was more of a reaction than an outbreak though. He's fine now. We got ours, glad we did at this point!

Stay well, everybody. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

I am allergic to needles. I have to be in serious pain before I give consent to get a shot. I don't even like having blood drawn, but I sure as L don't like liquids being pumped into my muscles under pressure. No flu shot since I was in the Army 30 years ago and no flu since the last time I had a flu shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

Hal,I'm sorry to say i was the same with my last blood test in 1967 when i got married! Big Mistake as the next blood test in 1996 reveiled i had suger. I proably had it 10 years before it was found now i get 4 shots a day and a blood test often! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Bud,

I will let them take blood. I don't like it, and I'm in a cold sweat the whole time the needle is in the arm, but I will let them. And they have been taking a bunch of it here lately. I have to watch my carb intake as my sugar is higher than he'd like to see it, but so far I do not have to test or take meds for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

I'm with Marshall. Never got it while my wife was working at a day care center and got the shot ever year. (I never did). After she quit she started watching her cousins kids and came home with something nasty. Got us both real good too. Haven't missed a shot since and I sure don't miss whatever it was we caught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Dave wrote,
"But it does not hurt"
wait--a shot that doesn't hurt???
Now that's an advancement!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

FWIW, I didn't even feel mine this year. I wouldn't have known that he gave me the shot, except that I watched him stick the needle in and squeeze in the juice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Keep this crap off off the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

John, as a quick note, this thread had not been updated since October 1st, over a week ago. By posting "Keep this crap off the forum" to the thread, you brought it back to the top of the forum topics list and gave it new life. It will now float at the top of the available topics for at least a few days (longer, if your reviving it gives it new life).

It's your call, of course, but if you think a thread shouldn't be here, putting it front and center again is not really the best way to achieve that. Just sayin'...... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

My wife and I drove our ol' rusty T to the grocery store where we always get our flu shot Monday.
How's that for being on topic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

I totally agree with John! This is nonsense. While I know this will bring the thread to the top, I post in support of John. Plain and simple! I don't know John, but he sounds like a guy I could have a beer with!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

The thread is marked "OT." If you don't want to read off-topic threads, why are you even part of it? What in the world is wrong with a bunch of guys in our general demographic (i.e. old farts) mentioning a health issue in an off-topic thread?

I am constantly fascinated by people who read threads very clearly marked "off-topic" and then pi..... whine and moan because the thread is off topic. Hello??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

P.S. Willis and John, enjoy your beer! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

Dang John and Willis, did you guys take some mean pills or something? WOW. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, October 09, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Saw something on the news about 200 or so people that worked at a company that brought it someone to give all of them flu shots. They are all under going HIV test. The shot givers did not change needles. WTF!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 01:34 am:

I've given about 6 flu shots, 4 shingles shots, and one pneumonia shot so far this fall. Who wants to be next? Bring me a prescription too and we can talk Model T Fords while you wait. Let me know when you want a stick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 01:59 am:

I've taken flu shots for 40+ years except for a few times that I forgot. I HAVE gotten a VERY mild case of the flu sometimes when I have had the shot, ALWAYS got a BAD case when I forgot to get one. I'll never go without them if I can help it. YMMV. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration