Today I drove sixty years ago

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Today I drove sixty years ago
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

They probably didn't call it "free range" in those days, but when I was a wee tyke it was common for farms to have chickens running loose in the yard. Often one of them would decide to risk life and wing crossing the road in front of a passing car. I guess they usually survived, but sometimes not. This afternoon I was driving home from town in the roadster when that very thing happened. As I was climbing the hill east of the river, what looked like a young leghorn ran in front of me and disappeared under the front of the car. Of course I had no time to react, but I didn't hear or feel a thump, so I assume she made it. The incident brought back memories of long ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

The burning question of the day, of course, is still "why?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

My dad always hated working on or spending money on cars and one day he told me why:

Dad's first car was an early post-WWII Ford (I don't know the exact year). It had a bent grille when he bought it, so he saved up his grocery bagging money and bought a new grille for it and had it installed at the dealership. On the way home, a chicken flew up in front of his car and smashed his brand new grille! From then on he hated working on or spending money on cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

I get it, when I drive over grass or dirt I think about how our cars used to drive over grass and dirt........

One time I drove down hill in control and went over a bump and literally popped up and if it were not for the steering wheel I could have been ejected - it wasn't that bad but it felt like it could have been and maybe was for drivers 100 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Steve, Was your crank handle up or hanging down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

but really....why did the chicken cross the road?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

George, Even chickens have "Senior Moments". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Chickens cross the road to show the possum and armadillo that it can be done.

Know what to do if you get lost in the woods? Find a set of possum tracks, they'll lead you straight to a highway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

The Chicken crossed the road because Col. Sanders was after her.

Col. Sanders crossed the road because the Rooster was after him.

The Turkey crossed the road because Col. Sanders was expanding his menu. . . . .

OK, That's all I've got!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

A couple weeks ago I nailed a chicken with my 14. It definitely picked the wrong time to cross the road. Years ago with the same car, while cresting the top of a hill, I nailed one in the rear end, knocking it into a ditch. It picked it self up and went running across the barn yard. Laughed like crazy. It was like a scene from years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

"climbing the hill east of the river,"

Really Steve ... In Kansas. :-) <grin>

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Or maybe Foghorn was chasing it!! Sorry, just had to add that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

At a country style candy shop in a nearby small town, there was a rack with funny greeting cards. The one that made me laugh out loud showed a chicken stretched out in a hospital bed. Across her mid-section were tire tracks, obviously from being run over by a car. Sitting next to her was another chicken, probably a friend of hers. The chicken in the bed said: "What really bugs me about the whole thing is the lame reason why I crossed the road in the first place."
I know that describing this card loses something in the telling. It's MUCH funnier when you see the drawing on the front of the card. For some stupid reason, I didn't buy it. I think I instead spent the money on a 1/4 pound of black licorice or something equally healthy. :-)
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

I dream of living in a world where a chicken can cross a road without it's motive being questioned

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

A friend of mime in describing how he pictured his from a truck project to come out said . I what it to look like chickens could fly out at any time .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Why did the chicken try to cross the road? We'll never know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

It crossed the road because the farmers idiot dog was chasing it. Now the farmer has a new dog and and after seeing what that Model T did to old Rufus his chicken won't come home. That road has some bad karma!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Steve, here up north chicken noodle soup is sounding real good. JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Bob, there are a lot of rivers and mountains in Kansas. Don't you ever watch "GUNSMOKE"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

Dean, That is funny.

A long time ago I lived next to a creek in Arlington Texas. In the fall and winter I always had a rodent problem in the garage and out buildings. I had cats inside the main house so I never had any problems with vermin in the living areas. One year I had a mouse in the garage that could not be caught in a regular spring loaded mouse trap. He could set the trap off and have a big time with the bait. I tried many different traps and spent a couple of months trying to get him. One day some friends came over and it was a mild winter day in Texas so I took them for a drive in my 27 Touring. When we got home I parked the T in the driveway and saw my friends off. Later in the day I went out to park the T back in the garage. When I opened the garage door I found my friendly mouse friend squished on the floor. I guess that he was under the T, where I had a trap, and when I started the T up he tried to scoot out from under the car when I backed up and I ran over him. The moral of this story is that Henry actually build a better mouse trap!!! LOL.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on October 01, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:18 am:

There's an old saying that people who think Kansas is flat have never ridden a bike across it.

We have some steep hills, but most of them aren't very long.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:44 am:

What is the actual elevation difference from high to low in Kansas ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:49 am:

You can find ANYTHING on this world wide web thing !

==========================================

"The lowest point in Kansas is 679 feet above sea level in the southeast
corner of the state. It is at the Verdigris River in Montgomery County. The
peak of Mount Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas at 4,039 feet above
sea level, is found about 1/2 a mile east of the Kansas border with Colorado."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:30 am:

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Some fowl reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration