Identifying Jack Handle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Identifying Jack Handle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Can anybody identify this jack handle that came with a T flip top jack? T, TT, A, AA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

That looks like a 64 Mustang jack handle. Actually Ford used it for many years,none of which include pre 27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Well, Jack, the left end in the picture is angled like a T jack handle and the tip is ground to a taper like for popping a hub cap. so you may be right, but the left end fits into a racket on a flip top jack, perfectly. I didn't bother to measure the size of the hex shaped hole on the other end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

If jack has a flip top,it is Model A era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Please don't tell me that, Jack. Numerous posts on the Forum have discussed jacks and I was led to believe that both the improved Fords used a flip top (without a hole through the top piece), and the Model A used a similar jack with a hole through the sides of the top piece. Have I been misled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 01:07 am:

Dan Trease, Trent Boggess, and Arnie Johanson have stated in previous posts that the flip top jack without the hole, came with improved cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Terry

Here's a pic. On the left, Model A, in the middle '26-'27 Model T, on the right, '25 Model T.

Info on Model A jacks for Jack :-)

http://www.mafca.com/tqa_jacks.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:43 am:

How do you know for sure that the flip top jack with the hole was not also equipped with Model Ts?

I recently picked up two Walker flip-tops with the holes. I have searched the forum and my impression is the info regarding the hole is based on one person's statement which may just be an opinion.

One of the jacks I acquired came out of a neighbor's garage along with some typical Model T Ford tools. Years ago, this same neighbor gave my father a Fordite steering wheel which came off of his father's Model T. I presume the jack and tools are also from this same car. (I live in the same neighborhood where I grew up, just a half block north of my parents. This neighbor was born in 1919 but passed in away in 2000. His wife recently passed away and that is how I acquired the jack and the tools. They saved everything, and I mean, everything…..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Thanks for the picture, Dan. I don't plan on having my cars, judged, but it would be interesting to see what judges would say (although I'm not saying they are GOD), but at least their word is final in the area of judging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Erik

Just know what another has said, and his research is pretty good for me :-)

While Trent notes the last T jack # as changed to A-, he says the design was unchanged, but that minor hole add in the flip top did happen, the rest of the jack design stayed as he noted.

The Model A judging guys acknowledge the flip top with hole as the 1928 Model A jack.

Could be late T's were equipped with the hole in the flip, maybe. But the hole in the flip is stated as a Model A jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Where is the logic?

Just because the Model A Ford Club judging guidelines show the correct jack has the hole in it does not automatically exclude those jacks as correct for late Model T Fords. The Model A guidelines have nothing to do with Model T Fords.

Model A jacks had a hole, accepted fact. Why does that mean that none of Model T jacks had the hole?

Also - the hole in and of itself probably serves a purpose. If that could be determined, then perhaps those jacks could be truly deemed as incorrect for Model Ts.

Further drift - I am trying to figure out which handle is correct for the Model T flip top jack. There are variations - some also serve as a tire tire iron and some have a 90 degree twist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

if the lug nut hole is 3/4 it could be tt.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

Erik

Your right, the logic used is what the MAFCA has on that web page posted above. You can also click on the hot link for the handle and see the Model A jack handle, with tire iron end. That club does a lot of research and is likely correct.

Research for me is second hand, but think Trent did what was necessary.

As for the T handle for the Walker '26-'27 flip top, suspect it was the same as used for the '25 Ajax pressed steel jack as shown in this photo of Model T and TT jacks from earlier thread on tools.
But research has to be done if possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

I went to school with a Jack Handle. Wonder if it is the same one ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 12:39 am:

The Gunny knows plenty of Jack Wagons.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration