Old Photo - Model t Era Parking Woes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Model t Era Parking Woes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:33 am:

I'm familiar with that photo.

That's the Coliseum Pavillion, 449 Lexington Parkway (at University Avenue) in St. Paul, Minnesota. It was a dancehall (ballroom) and roller rink.

The Coliseum Pavillion was adjacent to the left field fence of the Lexington Park, where the St. Paul Saints baseball team played. The mob of people and vehicles in the photo may have something to do with a baseball game, not an event in the pavilion. (You can imagine how well attended the Saints games were when they played played against the Minneapolis Millers - probably quite the mob scene.)

The original physical photo is in the collection of the Minnesota Historical Society.

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/display.php?irn=10708504

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/largerimage.php?irn=10334193&catirn=10708504

I have a friend who is in his late 80s in the antique car hobby. His father was a professional drummer and played with Wally Erickson's Coliseum Orchestra at that venue in the 1920s and 30s.

Aerial photo of Lexington Park taken in the 1920s - I have circled the Coliseum Pavillion at the upper right:

More parking woes - opening day at Lexington Park in 1929 (University Avenue is where the street car is running in the upper right hand side of the photo. Still a major thoroughfare running through Minneapolis and St. Paul.)

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on October 01, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:37 am:

I bet THAT'S why they started painting lines in parking lots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:41 am:

Oh, to have to suffer through dealing with parking lots jammed
with nothing but 1920's (and earlier) vehicles !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:51 am:

This would have made stealing a car very difficult. At least there is one advantage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Have any of you looked closely at the types of cars in the top and bottom pictures? In the upper photo maybe 50% of the cars are open and yet in the lower image there aren't more than a handful of open cars.

By the late Twenties most people welcomed rollup windows, tight fitting doors and that Glory of Glories; the Heater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Looking at the way those cars are jammed together brings a whole new meaning to the term, "Last In First Out'.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:50 am:

Last in, first out sure indicates a whole different frame of mind. When folks attended an event they expected to be there from start to finish. This was undoubtedly at least partially due to the fact that there was no technology that could interrupt them once they left home. Therefore, there was no chance of getting a phone call, text, or email that would compel you to leave early.

Things have changed somewhat.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

I wonder how many hours it took to get all those cars out! Glad I don't have to face that problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 09:38 am:

Kind of reminds me of the parking around Wrigley field during a Cubs game!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

The last photo is not a clear enough view to identify many cars. But I see a '24/'25 T coupe much like mine (behind the two-door coach I cannot identify). To the rear of that unidentified coach is another two-door coach, a '27/'28 Whippet. The spanking new non-Ford coupe in the front corner of the picture I think is a 1929 Whippet. A fellow I know is an Overland collector and he has a '29 Whippet roadster that is very similar to that. There may have been an active Whippet dealer in the area.
That last photo does not appear to have many model Ts in it, unlike the first photo posted by Jay. There are quite a few Ts in it, mostly enclosed cars. I see at least two T coupes and several sedans. There are two center-door sedans parked one in front of the other near your left edge of the picture (stage right).

Thank you Jay and all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration