Optima Redtop Battery in my 1925 Ford Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Optima Redtop Battery in my 1925 Ford Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 03:58 am:

So I've read raving reviews of the Optima Red Top battery... My 1925 Ford Model T needed a new battery so I thought I'd try one out 6 volt, 800 CCA and 1000 CA - and apparently they're vibration resistant and will tolerate sitting idle for extended periods without losing charge.... we shall see...

Here's the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a29gm9aZi7o

...Don't forget to check out the website if you haven't already :-)
http://www.fordmodelt.net/

...And join us on Facebook, you're more than welcome :-)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modeltford/

- Mitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:33 am:

An Optima will fit in a T battery box on an angle like the video shows. I had to make a plywood bottom to bring the battery up to the correct level, so the battery cables would be in the proper position. I still haven't figured out how to mount the lid though. Also, I nailed two strips of wood on each side of the battery to keep it in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:58 am:

If the car is not driven often, a battery tender to keep a full charge is a good idea. If I've understood the comments of the electrical experts correctly, that assures maximum battery life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

I can say for sure that a battery tender works well and is necessary to extend battery life.

Nothing kills a battery faster than not using it.

I have 2 battery tenders that I alternate between my T's and tractors.

If you buy a high dollar battery, install it and expect it to start your car 6-8 months from now you might be in for a big surprise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

I put a battery tender on my Optima and it fried the wires and burnt my hand in the process. I sent a note to Optima asking about 6 volt chargers for their batteries. Here is their response:
Hello John

Recommended Charging Information:
Alternator: 6.65 to 7.5 volts
Battery Charger (Constant Voltage): 6.9 to 7.5 volts; 10 amps maximum; 6-12 hours approximate
Float Charge: 6.6 to 6.9 volts; 1 amp maximum; (indefinite time at lower voltages)
Rapid Recharge: Maximum voltage 7.8 volts. No current limit as long as battery
(Constant voltage charger) temperature remains below 125F (51.7C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Thank you
Mary Jo
Optima Customer Service

Don't know why it blew up that float charger which I have been using for a couple of years. Got one for each car but a little scared to use it on an Optima again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration