Went for a ride in a Model T Railcar this week

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Went for a ride in a Model T Railcar this week
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:05 am:

Here is a short video of my trip in New Zealand's only model T operating rail car. Built on a TT chassis.
Enjoy..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f-7amRg7lw&feature=youtu.be

NZ Railways built four rail cars and the Pleasant Point Museum society built this replica of the 4th unit.
The driver told me they once transported the T to "Kingston" where another vintage steam train runs as a promotion. To enable the T to turn in Kingston without a turntable they fitted a hydraulic lift system to raise it off the rails so it can be then rotated by hand. I hope to get a clip of them doing this in the future,
While the T was running in Kingston a farmer approached them and said he had one of the original units as a hen house on his farm! They have since saved this unit and have it in storage awaiting restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 07:21 am:

Very cool!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:35 am:

Absolutely neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Neat! Some photos from inside the cab would be nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Too cool. It appears from the axle length that it might to narrow gauge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Look, Mom (Mum), No Steering Wheel !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

While you're at it, how about some pictures of the old Hen house? Always like to see "before" photos.
Here's the one I worked on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Barrie a friend of mine through model railroading was there last year.

Some pics of the inside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

That's awesome. Combines my favorite two hobbies. I'll probably never make it to NZ, but I'm glad that this piece of history has been saved, or perhaps recreated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Them's some mighty fancy spark & throttle levers! Very cool--more pics!!!
Oh, Aren't most of your railroads 3' gauge over there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

NZ Rail kept excellent records and they built this using the exact plans.

David I will see if I can get access to the original unit at some stage but it wont be for awhile as its in a members farm shed and not at the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

I sent Barrie a link to this thread and he told me to put the link to his newsletter on as well.

There are a couple of places where he talks about the railcar and building models of it.

Dewinton Station Sep 2015 newsletter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Nice! I operate a Woodings railcar, I would love to build a model t railcar. I think the wheels and brakes might be the biggest challenge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 09:49 am:

In the video: Why is he running it with the spark lever all the way up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Steve
They are from down under so anything that's up is down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 11:08 am:

RH drive Model T's has the throttle lever to the left and the spark control to the right. Don't know about the configuration of the controls in the rail vehicle in the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Rats, on dial-up, I can't get to the newsletter. Living in the sticks has some great advantages, but internet is not one of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Interestingly, the standard in the USA is that the locomotive is operated from the right seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 01:31 am:

And in Oz/NZ they operate while hanging upside down from the cab roof ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 03:40 am:

The railcar has a distributor so the advance/retard lever isn't connected and yes Roger the levers are the opposite way around for RHD. I've put a bit of red tape on mine to help remind me when i change cars. Interesting that the railcar has a Alternator as i thought they wouldn't squeeze in on a RHD. Took me a fair bit of time and a pinch bar to get the generator off my speedster last week so I'm keen to see how that Alternator was fitted.
Ernie I'm sure the driver said it had disc brakes. It actually drove along very well at 20 mph.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration