Airport Model T's-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Airport Model T's-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Can you tell what the lower photo Model T is for?
It doesn't really look like one of those plane starters does it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:55 am:

It's not a Hucks Starter. I have no idea what its purpose was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Those early planes had tail skids instead of steerable tailwheels, and they had no wheel brakes. Getting a plane from a hangar to a runway took quite a ground crew. I wonder whether they lifted the plane's tail onto this Ford and towed it backward to where they were going to fly it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:58 am:

The second one isn't a Hucks starter but what's that on top of the engine? Looks like a PTO of some sort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:13 am:

How many of you guys have tried to land a Model T at the airport ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Is the plane a Tri-Motor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:18 am:

I saw a picture some where with a shaft on top of the T going to the front of the planes motor for starting. Some one will probably post it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:40 am:

Yes Larry, the top picture is of a Ford Tri-Motor. I am unsure of the aircraft in the lower photo, but it does resemble a SPAD XIII in some respects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Bill - The bi-plane in the lower photo appears to have a radial engine, but I couldn't tell you what make of plane it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:53 am:

It looks like a battery bank in the back of that topless T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Hi Harold,

Yes, I thought the engine was a rotary (few, if any, radials in use during WWI). The rest of the airframe is reminiscent of SPAD, but they used liquid cooled V-8 engines. I am reasonably sure that it is not a Nieuport, Sopwith, or a de Havilland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:58 am:

If you look under the truck, there appears to be two large electrical cables coming from the truck and partially coiled on the ground. They appear to be headed for the plane in the background. Did some planes in this time period have electric starters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 07:01 am:

The T truck does look like it is set up for a tail skid, maybe the two cables are really one hose. The T maybe set up for an engine driven air compressor........I was talking to a guy with a 1914 Cadillac at the OCF and he showed me a gear driven air compressor under the hood. He said it was factory, the 37 inch wheels take 95 pounds of air............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

I am now thinking that the biplane is a Standard E-1.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration