OT - Learning more about the dealer and first owner of our K 6-40

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Learning more about the dealer and first owner of our K 6-40
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:45 am:

I've found more information concerning our Model K roadster number 823. This will be a lengthy thread as details about the owners family and the Ford dealership are posted. Hopefully it will provide a sketch of early Ford owners and their decision to buy Ford.

Using Trent Bogess' database research of early Ford production I've "pegged" the production of our K roadster around mid August to mid September 1907. While the K ledger database is incomplete, it gives us a general idea of when cars were produced. What I think I can definitively say is while earlier numbered cars may be sold later, such as K #348 below listed on 8/24/1907, cars are seldom sold out of sequence by higher number. In other words, an earlier numbered car may be listed, but seldom is a much higher "out of sequence" car. Our K #823 could have been listed on a ledger later, but probably not earlier than mid August, 1907. K numbers 808 (still exists) and 825 were listed on 8/12/1907. Later I'll show why I believe K #823 was sold in September 1907 to the same family who owned it through 1964:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Bob, Maybe I missed it in a previous thread, but what is model "KR"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

David,
It's a "modern" term assigned to K roadsters.
More later,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

Back for a little more of the story.

Robert Knight was the patriarch of one of the wealthiest New England families at the turn of the last century:

At the time of Robert's passing in 1912, the Knight estate was valued at 24 million dollars. At today's value, the equivalent of about 600 million dollars. Mr. Knight was also the originator of "Fruit of the Loom." Looking for a method to differentiate his textiles, he founded the still well known logo:

Two sons were also involved with the business, Clinton (C.) Prescott and Webster. Both were involved with early automobiles, with C. Prescott Knight participating in early auto clubs and events.

Next, the Knight cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

The first car I've found owned by C. Prescott Knight was a 12 hp Packard. In this article Mr. Knight competed in an October 1901 race:

(Message edited by Rob on October 01, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Interesting, I thought the "KR" might indicate raceabout or something like that. Now does the Knight automobile enter into this story too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Very interesting. I am amazed that you can find the history of a car that's 107 years old. I can't even find socks in my sock drawer!

Please continue with the story when you find out more or have time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

David, yes, The Knights will own a series of cars, including a Model K.

Denny, lots of moving parts to this story, so I'm trying to edit and keep it as brief as possible. :-)

C. Prescott is also a member and officer of the Rhode Island Automobile club.

1902:

1903, the first of what will become an annual hill climb event is held at the Knight farm:

1904:

Meanwhile, in 1903 a local garage suffers a fire, with arson suspected. The garage is managed by Dutee Wilcox Flint:

D. W. Flint and C. Prescott Knight will share experiences involving automobiles over the next few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 07:26 am:

This motorist guide includes auto registrations in the New England, as of May 1st, 1905. C. P. Knight has two cars registered, a Columbia and Stanley Steamer. His brother Webster also owns a Stanley.

Dutee W. Flint now owns a new (introduced in late fall 1904) Ford Model B:

And, Dutee has another garage fire, resulting in loss and damage to several cars:

At the end of the year, the Knight trophy is again presented to the fastest hill climb in what has become an annual event:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

By early 1906, Dutee Wilcox Flint is a Ford agent. In April 1906 he drives a Ford touring car on his honeymoon. This report says the car "is a gift of the Ford Motor Car company." Mr. Flint owned a Ford Model B the previous year. I don't know if this is the same car, a Model F or the new Model K:

May 1906, Flint sells a Model K to Mr. M. J. Perry of Providence:

In June 1906, John J. Arnold of Pawtucket R.I. Buys a Model K from Flint:

September 1906, E. W. Sawin owns a Model K. Mr. Sawin is a member of the same Rhode Island auto club as C. Prescott Knight:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

Getting back to this updated history on our K roadster. I'll begin a "part 2" thread to finish.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration