OT UPS Shipping Nightmare

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT UPS Shipping Nightmare
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:55 am:

This is not Model T related but it very well could be if you ship a T part or buy one and have it shipped. Tuesday Sept. 22 I decided to ship a recently discovered centuries old Samurai dagger to a restorer in Hawaii. Wishing to avoid the "anything dangerous" question at the post office I chose my local UPS store because they said "no problem". I guess I should have balked when they put my 11 inch long dagger in a box you could fit an engine block in! The clerk said it would arrive Thursday which I assumed meant in two days. Paid my $45 and went home feeling good that in several days I would find out what my new treasure was and how to proceed in it's preservation. Next day I was alarmed when it was discovered my tracking number was no where to be found on UPS website. I called the store was about to get my first education on UPS shipping. First I was told it Wouldn't arrive on the next Thursday but a week later and because it was going to a Post Office box it was shipped by the post office and NOT UPS. I was also told that these were all revealed to me at the time of sale. They were NOT! Why would I drive past my local Post Office AND pay extra to send my dagger through the UPS system? My new arrival date was Oct. 1st AND the reason I couldn't find anything online was because I needed to search the local store's website and not UPS.com OR the USPS website which I NEVER agreed to use. My new delivery date was Oct 1st, imagine my surprise when last night the USPS website tells me to expect delivery Oct. 7th! 16 days after shipping. After a nasty letter to my local Ups store I know find out IF it isn't delivered today I will get a refund. BUT my dagger has disappeared off the radar at both UPS and the USPS. It was last seen in Tenn. on Sept. 26th. The only silver lining to all this is I decided the day I shipped to insure it for $1000, How much fun do you think I will have trying to collect? Will I ever know if I lost a $5000 dagger as that was the reason I shipped it in the first place to find out just exactly what I had.
Just thought I'd pass this on so that the next time you use the UPS make sure you find out just exactly what, when, where and how they are shipping your valuable items!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:06 am:

I can testify from bitter experience that USPS insurance is worthless if the lost article isn't a store-bought item with a receipt. If you don't have a printed receipt for it you're SOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Steve is correct, I have also found out the hard way that without a store-bought receipt the insurance is worthless. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

I understand your headache. I ordered something a while back. It started out being shipped by UPS, but it was delivered to my local post office and they delivered it.

When ever I ship anything now, I add a card to the object with my contact info, just incase the box is damaged.

good luck, hopefully it will be found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

The first stop for my UPS driver in the A.M. IS the post office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

I asked my local UPS driver about their use of the post office and he was not happy about it, it allows UPS to use the USPS delivery network and avoid hiring more drivers.

Also, the UPS and USPS tracking systems don't talk to each other, so once the post office has the package the UPS tracking number won't work any more.

:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

I haven't us ups for 5 years have left my troubles behind fedX and usps have both been top shelf knocking on some wood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Head bolts or manifold studs are good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

Wrong post. Moderator please remove

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration