Bending cast

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bending cast
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Loman on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

I am a model T owner but I now I need assistance for a different type of vehicle. Thanks in advance to anyone that can assist. I need some advise and assistance. I have a chrome plated cast bronze piece that is 60 years old. It is for the prow of a boat. The boat that it came off of was more blunt than the boat I want to use it for. In other words the piece is in the shape of a "V" and i need to tighten the "V" to fit a more narrow prow. Any suggestions on how to bend this piece to make it fit? The total distance of the bend will be less than 1" but it must be done to make it work. Cost is not an issue as I really want this piece to fit my boat. Can anyone help or provide information to make this happen? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

odds are you will break it castings just do not bend let alone one full inch cast is very brittle good luck bending if you are successful run out and by a lottery ticket also

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Standard procedure for bending brass is to heat it orange and quench it in water. It will bend until it work hardens. I was told the procedure applies to cast brass pieces as well as extruded brass. It worked for me on a cast brass steering wheel spider. Best to get a few responses from folks before you try anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

Make a tapered brass shim for each inner side of the "V". You'll need a milling machine or someone that has one.

Once the shims are fabricated and fitted, they can be soldered to the original piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Orange is too close to the melting temperature and will burn the tin out but you do need to take it to red and hold it there until saturated. Quenching is optional. It will make no difference in the annealing--It just allows you to handle the piece quicker. After annealing, you can set it up in a press with the necessary V forms and shape it. Do NOT try to bend it hot. Copper alloys are shaped cold. Depending on the size and thickness of the piece, you may need to anneal it multiple times to get that 1" if the bottom of the V is filled.

More details of the piece are necessary. Post some pictures of it with something to scale it to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Just found my notes. You want to take it to at least 1100F and hold it there for one hour per 1/4" of thickness. Do not exceed 1200F. After the heating/soaking phase, you can quench or air cool. It makes no difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

The plating will crack, will it not? It probably ought to be stripped first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Let's go at this another way, modify your boat's planking trim. Add a tapered piece that matches the casting, and then tapers back down to the existing trim. OR instead of tapering down, you could put a reverse curve in the trim end too. If it's less than an inch, that's only 1/2" on each side, shouldn't raise any eyebrows once it's done, and for folks that never saw the boat before, they'd think it was built that way! And of course, now it is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

It might also be worth taking your question over to the wooden boat forum if you haven't already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 12:23 am:

David what kind of boat? any picture? its a long shot but I have a few pieces laying around

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 12:52 am:

I missed that it was plated. Yes, the chrome will discolor and crack and needs to be stripped. Same with the nickel. It won't hold up either.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration