Climbing Horseshoe Hill

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Climbing Horseshoe Hill
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

The other day one of our discussions veered off into hills in Kansas. That made me think of Horseshoe Hill, a few miles east of here. So today when I drove over to the water district office to pay the bill, I took along a camera and made a little video of the hill. I have to confess I'm a little disappointed in how it looks here. I don't think the video does it justice. Last year the 26 touring I was riding needed the low pedal to reach the top. Today the roadster took it in high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADanhp1jQU&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 09:37 am:

Looks like it's running well! What was the verdict on that one spark plug that looked like it had a part of the center electrode and insulator broken off, did you take it apart?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Those light little Runabouts do climb well. I'm sure your improvements over the last years have helped it.
Nice to see the video.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Mark, I replaced it. It's toast. In fact I replaced all of them temporarily. I'm doing a nine dollar experiment, running Autolite 3095's. Maybe that's why the car has got finicky about starting again.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on October 02, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Lookin good Steve. Come east to TN and we will show you some hills you can wipe your tails off on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 11:01 am:

We have a hill coming up to our house that I have to take the 26's in Low Ruckstell Low Ford to climb. I have not tried it in the 22. There is another way which only needs Low Ruckstell High Ford or High Ruckstell Ford low. However even that hill I need over half tank in the 22. Fortunately, there is a gas station at the foot of the hill.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

As usual - Nice video Steve ... which brings me to a "My Hill Is Bigger Than Your Hill" post :-).

About once a year, several of us make a run to the top of Hurricane Ridge National Park in Washington State.
We drive to Port Angeles, WA (about 60 miles from here).
We start at sea level in Port Angeles and head up the mountain.
The road is 24 miles uphill all the way. The view is spectacular on a clear day.
You can see Victoria, BC.
The return trip down the mountain is a real thrill :-) :-) :-).

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

That is a fun trip Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Many years ago I had some crotch rocket motorcycle racers come down the hill at light
speed (cutting corners and in my lane), nearly going off the mountain trying to avoid a head
on with my DeSoto.

I was almost interested in seeing Darwinism at work, but the concern over having a new
hood ornament installed distracted me. Stupid is as stupid does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

Steve, you spoke in one of your videos..very nice..:-) I'm a little camera shy when it comes to talking on my crappy vids even though i know it would probably be more informative to the viewer if i did. Although on my last vid about my wobbly triple gears, i did utter two words..:-) Keep up the great vids Steve, it makes this forum even better than it already is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 02:43 am:

Steve, your videos are always very professional. _Looks like you had to shoot several takes from different vantage points and do some editing to get that natural flow. _A really nice job.

I'm always mindful of the iffy Model T crankshaft when dealing with hills and so, make it a practice to take a running start and reduce power as I approach the crest. _Retarding the spark doesn't seem to make much performance difference to my '15 when it comes to lugging through the bottom end of the power curve, but at least the leverage is placed where it'll tend to rotate the crank rather than drive it down into the caps. _Your car sounds great powering its way up the hill. _You must have it really dialed in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Bob C, you are doing it the right way. I have done it that way for years. Retarding the spark will make an engine overheat, but not in the short time to crest the hill. Save your crankshaft!
So far, so good. Knock on wood.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration