Simple values for ignition settings range

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Simple values for ignition settings range
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willi Kuehnis on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 02:31 am:

Hi,
for the settings of my T I prefere simple values:
- I always set the ignition to 1 mm after TOC with the lever totally up. This works very well.

I am using a new distributer now and I still don't know how far I should go down with the lever at full speed.

Question:
So I would like to know this: How many mm should the ignition be before TOC at full speed ?

Thanks for help
Willi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 02, 2015 - 03:18 am:

Are you using Ford coils powered by battery, the flywheel magneto or some other type of ignition?
The answer is usually "pull it down to where it runs best" If it pings with full advance, retard it until it stops pinging. If it's sluggish, uses lots of gas and tends to overheat, then the ignition is too retarded. A model T is driven with all your senses and feelings and it isn't metric (except for the 100mm distance between the crank and the cam, 'ol Henrys Hungrarian design engineers pulled off a trick there :-) )

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration