Oil Rings?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oil Rings?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Which work best, the one piece or three piece oil rings? Hastings or Grant? This motor has aluminum pistons. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 10:38 am:

The three piece seals better but takes longer to seat, if it is fresh bore go with them if it is honed use the others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

In my honest opinion Hastings always had the best oil control rings, nothing to go by other than being a mechanic for 45 years. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

Grant rings are very good as well. I however prefer gapless rings that NASCAR uses. The configuration is such that there are no gaps what so ever.

I have used gapless rings on my 1907 2 cylinder Reo, my 4 cylinder Reo, and a number of other racing and antique motors. They do an excellent job of oil control and a minimum of smoke.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Pat, I think it's more important to get the right ring end gap than which kind of rings you use.

I learned that the hard way. I solved some oil burning and smoking with a set of next Oversized rings and now I happy, not a drop of oil burned or a puff of smoke.

I like the Hastings but used the Grants cause they were next door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

This motor has .060 over pistons and the oil ring is a one piece with a 1/4" ring gap. I think that is a bit much. I was making smoke since I bought the car. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Oh OH Here's your possible solution to oil burning and smoking. Get a set of .080 over rings.

I did not think they would work but was advised by the guys at Grant they would be no problem. Just file the ends to proper gap.
This is exactly what I did and it worked perfect. That 1/4 may not be accurate measurement but you get the idea. I would think you might be having a lot of piston slop.

This fix was my first attempt to fix my smoking issues and a set if rings is cheap to try.

Worked perfect for me. YMMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

I agree with "brass car guy". I like the rings that are designed with an overlapping "step" instead of the usual "ring gap". I don't know why all rings are not designed with that overlapping step design, unless it's just a matter of additional cost. Actually, I would think that they would be more expensive so additional cost is probably is the reason.

On the other hand, with a proper size ring gap, when you consider how much time is involved on the combined upward compression stroke and the downward power stroke, how much compression can actually leak thru' a gap of only a few thousandths, right? Not that much I'd think, and the higher the rpm's, the less "time" for leakage, right?

Sorry,....just sorta' "thinking out loud",......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Tonight I noticed the oil rings were smooth most of the way around.The upper and lower "scrapers" were gone. In total the ring was .036 under size. Oddly, at the ring gap they looked new. Max. taper was in #1 at .0015. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration