OT - Your Two Favorite Cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Your Two Favorite Cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Every car collector has two favorite cars; one that he has owned (and perhaps still owns) and one he would like to own. _What are yours?

But let me qualify that a bit, because I'm not asking about investment value, so let's assume all collector cars are worth the same price and you could rub a magic lamp and wish for only one car to magically appear in your garage for free.

one of many fiberglas replicas, not the original

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

My first pick for a dream vehicle would be one of these:

1880's 2-8-0 narrow gauge freight hauler with 37"-ish drivers in proper 1880's trim. :-)

The Batmobile started life as the Lincoln Futura show car:

It was found derelict by Chuck Barris and built into the familiar Batmobile for the Batman TV series:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Did Chuck Barris find it after taping an episode of the Gong Show?
I think you meant George Barris :-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

You know ... the older I get, the more senior moments I seem to have. You young
whippersnappers need to keep biting at my ankles to keep me squared away !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Man do I hate to say this on a Ford T site, but #1 would be the 1962 Chrysler 300H that I owned in the late '60s. #2 would be the 1955 Buick Century convertible that I had in the early '60s. For any piece of moving equipment, it would be a New York Central 6000 series Niagara steam locomotive or possibly the SS United States passenger liner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

I guess I'm sentimental, but I was gifted with tickets to Ford's introduction of their 1957 models. I fell in love with, and continue to adore, the '57 Thunderbird and the '57 Retractable. Funny thing is, I have owned both at one time or another, but couldn't afford to get them into running condition and had to let them go.

I continue t play the lottery......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

I love my T's and they're my current favorites. If I could dream about another ultimate dream car, I'm thinking about a 1957 Chrysler 300 C with a 392 hemi - but not a coupe or convertible as they were offered, but a custom built station wagon :-)
That would be a great summertime daily driver and trailer puller :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

To many old Fords and Mercs to list, but the top would be a 56 Ford convertible which is my next restoration project. Next any mint all original T touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

John Codman, I actually owned a 1962 Chrysler with a 383 cu.in. Engine and 3 speed straight stick transmission. Though it wouldn't be my first choice of a car to have again it's up there close to the top. Other then that, I've had Corvettes, '56 Chevy Nomad and a '38 Ford Pickup show truck. I've owned several other '55 Chevys and a couple '57 Ford Fairlane 2 door hard tops. Once they're gone I don't seem to care if they come back. But, you can be sure for the rest of my life I will always have a Model T Ford hanging around close by. The other dream car would be a '31 Ford coupe body on a deuce Frame, powered by a built 'flathead V8 and backed up with a modern five speed tranny and 9" Ford rearend. Oh and if possible put a mcculloch supercharger and a set of Ardun heads on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

I wouldn't mind a '67 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow Coupe, black inside and out, right hand drive. A '53 Cadillac Seventy-Five Series Limousine would be next or the same in a '59. I had a '72 once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist- New Zealand on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Clark Gables Duzzie or Cocco Chanels Hispano

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 01:56 am:

I started this thread, so I guess I really should weigh in.

Long before it became a collector car, I had a '61 Volkswagen Camper Microbus with which I commuted between home and college. _It had the rare, rear corner windows (25 windows in all, including the split windshield) and a slide-back canvas top. _The heating ductwork between the air-cooled engine and the driver's seat was a waste of sheet-metal and man, was that thing cold in the winter! _It was underpowered enough that I always had to downshift for hills, even on highways. _Those who admire German engineering never drove one of these rolling junk-pilesóand yet, today, they're worth a fortune. _Well, this was definitely not my favorite collector car.

Then there was my '68 Buick Sportwagon. _This car had a set of gorgeous observation windows built into the ceiling over the rear seats. _It was comfortable, had great towing capacity and plenty of power. _Still not my favorite, though.

I guess it's not surprising that the favorite collector car I've owned is my faithful, '15 Ford Touring. It's a keeper.

Out on the eastern end of Long Island is a town called Jamesport where lives a gentleman who builds and sells one 1966 Batmobile replica per year, and they are drop-dead gorgeous. _This would be the favorite collector car that I don't own. _As the most recognized automobile in the world, it has lots of nostalgic pizzazz and 60's kitsch, and this one can be driven on the highway to any car-show (as long as there's no rain in the forecast). _Yeah, it was hard to decide between the Batmobile and a high-end brass car like a 1911 Packard or Locomobile, but hey, I've already got a brass caróright?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay's a suburb!) on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Built this one... Fiberglass body '34, tube steel frame, IFS, ZZ-4, B/W 5 speed, Prismatique, lift-off top & more. Wanted to keep it somewhat subtle, with an adrenaline rush as an option! Unfortunately, a divorce necessitated sale....., but still able to keep Dad's TT! Both have been different sides of automotive enjoyment!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Burger, This is not a very good photo but none the less shows you what I built about six years ago. Built from scratch and no blueprints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

One definitely would be a 1922 Studebaker touring car .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 12:59 am:

Of all the cars I've owned, my favorite has to be my '14 Touring. I don't have a choice; my wife loves it so much that she'll never let me sell it.

If I could make a car magically appear in my garage, it would be the #30 Firestone-Columbia racier that Eddie Rickenbacker campaigned in 1911. He raced the car at tracks all over the country, including the Indy 500 and the speedway in Omaha, Nebraska where he took second place to Billy Pierce on the same day that my great grandfather won the ten mile motorcycle event on his two-cylinder Indian. I'd rather have Ed Hylen's Indian, but you asked which car I'd like to have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 01:14 am:

This and my 23 Runabout are my favorites.

1957 Buick Century

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 01:23 am:

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 02:03 am:

A very broad thread topic but wow such high aspirations expressed already. The bat mobile?, studebaker, buick, really! . I couldn't see a non European car in my top 50 let alone my top two. I think the thread question was unintentionally about reaching for the automobile stars not the TV stars or the champions of mediocrity.

Devils advocate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 02:54 am:

Ken,

Try driving a 1922 Studebaker Touring for 70 miles - then post your sentiments ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 04:03 am:

My other choice is not a car ...

It would be a Studebaker High Wheel Wagon pulled by a four mule or horse train.

I was fortunate to " drive " one a few years ago ...

I was born in the wrong century ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 04:24 am:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/MMFR_BigFoot-876x534.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

I thought any car guy's favourite two were supposed to be the last one he sold and the next one he's going to get...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Aside from the Ts my favorites are:

The Caddy's gone now. Had to downsize a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 02:05 am:

Not the best shot, but my dream car was this 1958 DeSoto Fireflite convertible.

Took me YEARS to find one, not because they were expensive or exotic, but because
production was only 474 !

At a time when you could buy a Fairlane convertible for $2500, this car went out the
door for over $6K equipped as this one is. They didn't sell many, and they rusted
badly. Only six are confirmed to survive. Five of those reside in Sweden now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 04:01 am:

I still own (in various states of decrepitude) most of the vehicles which I have Really enjoyed driving.

If I was allowed to rub the magic lamp and wish for one car it would be a White steam car, one of the big 30 HP models.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 05:47 am:

Burger, that is a great looking car and reminds me of the car my dad owned in 1957. It was a 1957 DeSoto Adventurer ragtop and man, did it fly! He used to tell me stories about how stock it was, yet it was a hemi engine four barrel that smoked everyone he raced. There was only one kid faster on the take-off, and he was a mechanic that had a souped up '57 Chevy that beat my dad off the line but he caught him pretty quick and left him in the dust! My father sold that car and purchased a '58 Corvette. Both are cars that he wished he still had. Believe it or not, that DeSoto is so rare (exactly for the reasons you gave, and also because hot rodders pulled the engines for other projects) it's actually more valuable than the '58 Corvette. I think I saw one almost exactly like my father's going for well over $120K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 07:37 am:

My personal favorite would be the 1910 Stanley Steam car. My Grandfather owned one, and it was always his favorite. My practical favorite car is one that is paid for, runs reliably, and doesn't cost me a fortune to drive. Not all that picky on the second vehicle if it meets those criteria.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Well, 1907 Stanley Gentleman's Speedy Roadster "will do 60 mph on a good road" would be one choice, or a Doble roadster, like Barney Becker's (RIP) a toss up, the Stanley would be easier to take care of, but the Doble would be more practical to drive (as long as you use it all the time, the complicated Doble control systems work well--but if it sits, well. . . .)
Hmm, maybe No. 2 would be an American Rolls Royce Piccadilly roadster, like the one I helped restore some 30 years ago. Great design, wonderful to drive, and GOOD brakes! (mechanical with transmission powered assist)
Rats, can't find any pictures on my computer to share.
Since RR related "cars" have popped up in this thread, SP 1727, restored to operation would be my dream!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

The two old cars I've wanted the most since I was old enough to know what they were are a Model T and a Porsche 356A or earlier coupe. I actually had a chance to buy a nice original 356 coupe in high school for a number I could very nearly afford but alas it just didn't happen. Still, one out of two life long dream cars (so far) isn't so bad, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

I can die happy if at some point in my life I possess a winged Mopar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:29 am:

Gary I love that 1932 chevy but wouldn't you rather have a roadster version or perhaps a Type 41 Bugatti?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:44 am:

My friend Bob has a Daytona. Has a 66 Coronet 500 coupe, Grand Spaulding car too. Looks just
like my convertible with an all black exterior. His is a 426/auto, mine a 440magnum/4-speed. His
has red bucket interior, mine is white with bench seat.

They look great together. :-)

When muscle cars were new on the lots, my best friend loved Shelbys and I was always pulling to
go down to B.C. Hawk Dodge. The 66 Coronets were the first new car I was old enough to fall in
love with. Naturally, we all ooohed and aaahed over the winged cars when they came along, but car
interiors were rapidly becoming "claustrophobic", and I have grown bored with their limited variation
of colors and interiors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:18 am:

When we moved to town in the fall of 1961 there was a green 1931 5 window model A coupe for sale at $400.00 That would be # two for me but #1 has to be OLD 16!! I like almost any model A's but no matter what it is it has to be real!! No fibberglas and nothing that looks like it was built by a pimp!!! I dislike the 50's because i grew up driving that cover up the junk with fins and chrome. Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

Well I'll throw in two of my favorite cars I've owned.

#1: 1969 Chevelle SS396 4sp 3:55 posi, sold it during my last year in college for $4800. Now worth $40K.

#2: 1970 Monte Carlo 402 4sp, it was not a SS model. Bought it for $800 dollars from a friend of my brother. I sold it because I couldn't afford the gas on minimum wage back in the 80's

Honorable mention #1: 1966 Chevy II SS 6cyl 3sp on the tree which was converted into a street racer. Best track time for me was a 13.50 on street tires, 11:1 350 with powerglide with 3:73 12 bolt posi.

Honorable mention #2: 1967 Camaro drag car that was converted to a street car, 402 big block, powerglide, Dana 60 diff. Never took it to the strip but had fun with it on the street for a few years.

Out of all of these I'd like to have the Chevelle back as it was all stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Ken Phillips, Thanks. It's a 31. Only about 840 made. Much more rare than a roadster. Only a handfull left. At my age what would I do with a Bugatti? I liked the 31 as it is almost all original except for paint, cloth and rubber. The car had never been wrecked or rusted.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration