OT - Trailer Dolly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Trailer Dolly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 12:46 am:

I would like to get a trailer dolly like the one pictured below to maneuver my dual axle, single car trailer into its resting spot for the winter. Every year the garage seems to get tighter and tighter and I'm thinking this would sure make it easier.

Are they worth investing in? Can they be used with a loaded trailer? Also any recommendations on where to get one that is built heavy duty? Based on the mixed reviews on the 500lb tongue weight rated one from Harbor Freight, I'm thinking I want something more substantial.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 02:42 am:

Consider a front bumper hitch.
With a front ball you can park your trailer on a dime with nine cents change.
Your truck will become a powered trailer dolly.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:05 am:

The heavier the trailer the longer and more stout the pulling handle has to be as well as the axle. I've used a home made puller like you have pictured but make the handle removable so you can attach a short bar to attach to your riding lawnmower and pull it with your mower over longer areas to save your back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:07 am:

I have one that I don't use often, but when you need it, it's the ticket. In fact, I need to fish it out today and when I do I'll get the manufacturers name for you. It's made in USA and I paid a little extra for non-pneumatic tires. Those cheap tires are not the kind of thing you want going flat when you need it, and quite often where I need one air is not accessible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:28 am:

They work on hard surfaces but even then you sometimes need a few friends to help push depending on how heavy your trailer is. go with a front mounted hitch they are much better and don't require a tube of Ben-Gay after you're done:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:13 am:

This is the unit I have:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Cart-Equipment-500-Pound-Capacity/dp/B00I9VQF4W

I'm jealous because it looks like it has tires a little larger than the one I bought a few years ago. Sturdy unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:35 am:

The need for such a device is one of the good reasons I stay with a single axle trailer for lightweight cars like a model T. I can push it anywhere on just its jockey wheel.

I know this won't help.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 11:22 am:

What is the tongue weight of your trailer? Our two-axle horse trailer loaded with two 1,000 lb Standardbreds had a tongue weight of 350 lbs. Empty it was around 275.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

You are better off to install a front recover hitch on your truck under the bumper - then you can see where you are heading ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Do you have a riding lawn mower?

There is angle iron bolted under the plate for more strength. I only use it for towing a log splitter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Thanks all for the advice. They front bumper hitch is a good idea but it would still only get the trailer most of the way there based on where it is situated in the garage. I've been using a cart and blocks but I'm thinking this dolly would be easier with one person.

I'd estimate the tongue weight at about 200lb or so. But it seems like some of the dollies are actually over rated based on their construction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Search U Tube for powered trailer dolly. You will be amazed at what you can do with some simple parts.

I like the one where the dolly is powered by a drill motor

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration