2 lever construction questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 2 lever construction questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:20 am:

A couple of distinctly different construction features seen among the 2-levers are the coilbox and the handle elevation of the passenger doors. #220 has the insulators exiting the bottom of the coilbox, where others display the conventional box where coil wires penetrate the dash...is one style known to be correct? Passenger door outer handles are positioned either midway through the height of the door (near the mid-door trim stick) or higher between the mid-door trim stick and the top of the door. Is one configuration correct and the other not? Were any aluminum skinned bodies furnished for the earliest 09's, and how many body suppliers produced the first run of the Touring bodies?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:53 am:

#220 has the wrong coil box. It is one of the few glaring errors in its restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Originally it would have been a Kingston box with T-4215 coils, a dark gray fiber switch with no Kingston name on it, and red fiber insulator tubes rather than the familiar white porcelain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Scott,

First the easy one: You asked, “… and how many body suppliers produced the first run of the Touring bodies? According to Bruce McCalley (R.I.P.) in his book “Model T Ford” on page 477 he states that 1909 bodies were supplied by Pontiac (aka Beaudett also spelled Beaudette) and Wilson. But he adds a disclaimer under the paragraph that states, “There may have been others we might have missed.” Also that disclaimer might apply to 1909, 1910, and 1911 listings of body makers or it could be read as only applying to the 1911 body makers. I.e. that was were it was shown.

Second you also asked "Were any aluminum skinned bodies furnished for the earliest 09's?" Bottom Line Up Front -- the earliest documented touring with an aluminum clad body that I know of was manufactured Mar 3, 1909 and was #1,245. Ref: page 478 Bruce McCalley (R.I.P.) "Model T Ford." Please see below for further discussion on possibility of earlier but lacking documentation aluminum touring bodies.

Additional details:

Bruce also states on the 1909 bodies that Pontiac produced both the wood and the aluminum clad bodies again ref page 477. But we do not have the shipping records for Model T cars #2 through 1,118 (ref page 475 & 478) so we do not have as much detail about those cars as we would like.

On page 476 Bruce also shared concerning the 1909 bodies, “Contrary to popular belief, the aluminum Touring bodies (supplied only by Pontiac Body Co.) were quite common until September 1909. All other bodies wee wood and were supplied by Pontiac or Wilson for the most part.”

And on page 478 of car #1,245 a touring manufactured (not shipped – manufactured) Mar 3, 1909 was listed on the shipping documents as having a Pontiac aluminum body. Note Bruce was only recording approximately every 10th car. So there may have been additional Pontiac aluminum touring bodies, but the next one in his partial listing is on page 480 of car #2,027 with a Pontiac aluminum touring body that was manufactured Mar 31, 1909. Note it is NOT one of the every 10th car numbers. But Bruce also liked to highlight things he found that were interesting. In this case car #2,027 was painted Gray. There are 9 more aluminum bodied tourings listed between #2,027 and car #2500. And then lots more after that on page 481 to 485 where they stopped being listed in Sep 1909.

So clearly there were some water pump engine cars fitted with the aluminum touring body produced by Pontiac (actually Beaudett Body Company). But if you are asking were there any 2 lever 2 pedal aluminum skinned tourings – I have not seen or I do not recall seeing any documentation one way or the other on that one. Hopefully someone else can add some documentation or some fossil evidence to help answer that question? But from the information we do have – I believe it would have been possible, but I do NOT know if it did or did not occur.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Thanks gentlemen. Lots of good data here and great that more keeps turning up. Interesting that aluminum skin was Ford's weapon of choice at this time, when aluminum was a relatively new technology, and where steel skinning of bodies was already a popular industry application. The Hayes company had distinguished themselves as a steel skinned body manufacturer of horse-drawns prior to this time, so curious is that steel would have been the cheaper and more easily finished material.
Regards,
Scott

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration