Coil Point Hardware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Coil Point Hardware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

It's been a while since I rebuilt any coils, but I recently decided to build 8 that I had sitting around. I had some trouble getting some of the nuts off the 4 12-32 studs, but all of the smaller single studs in front came off with my fingers. No tools needed. However, the new hardware kits that I bought have nuts that will not go onto that stud. I've bought cheaper hardware kits in the past that had really tight 12-32 nuts for the other four studs and I did not like that. So I buy these which fit much better. But I've never had any trouble out of the hardware for the small diameter stud from either hardware kit.

Now, I always assumed that stud was #10-32 and I have used #10-32 nuts on them in the past with no trouble whatsoever. But every single one of these coils will not take the new nut. It's like the new nut is too small. I tried an actual known #10-32 nut from a box of them I had laying around. Still too tight. I began wondering if these studs might be 3/16 instead of #10 as there is some minor difference, but upon looking that up, I find that a #10 is actually a hair bigger than 3/16, so I don't think that is the problem either. I ran a #10-32 tap into the nut in question and it did take a tiny amount of material out of it, but it still would not fit on the stud. It will start, but not go down. I also tried a #10-32 die on the stud, but it gets tight and spins the stud in the wood before it will cut any threads.

You'd be tempted to chalk it up to bad threads on the studs, but while some of them do look a little rusty, others are pristine and the fact of the matter is the old nuts will easily go right back on them.

At least 5, if not 6 of these coils are Ford coils. Two of them are either not marked or too marred up to see if they were ever stamped "Ford". Anyone ever run into this? I'll probably just clean up the old #10 (or whatever they are) nuts and put them back on, since they work just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

And you must be an engineer....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Can't say that I have Hal, but once you get it all straightened out, let me know if you need any assistance with getting those new points adjusted properly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:22 am:

The issue isn't the thread pitch, the minimum diameter is too small. Seems like I ran a .193 (on the four that hold the points on) drill bit through the nuts first the last time I did any. Just hold the nut with vice grips and run a drill through it. It will then go on easily.

You may want to trial and error on the drill size. It has been about 4 years since I did them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 11:55 am:

John, As a matter of fact......:-)

Mike, Thanks but I believe I can handle it. But they will probably never meet your standards.:-)

Gary, I will give that a try. It's the small ones on the single tall stud that is giving me the problem right now, but the idea could work for any of them. Thanks for the idea. I'm gonna try it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

I ran a tap thru the nuts and all fit very well. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

James:

That's just wrong..... the vendors should sell the correct fasteners just like Ford supplied.

Running a tap to clean up the original threads would be best, and use the correct nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Bob: I agree, I'm not saying it's ok for stuff not to fit, but fortunately, it was an easy fix. I always chase the threads on the fasteners I reuse, but we shouldn't have to on new ones.

Best regards, jb

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration