OT- Would The Model T Magneto Survive a EMP Blast?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- Would The Model T Magneto Survive a EMP Blast?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Having a lively discussion with a wrench mechanic in the Air Force. Thanks.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

That is an interesting question. I wouldn't think so, but I'm note exactly sure how an EMP fries electrical circuits. Perhaps we have a few electrical experts who can chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

when I recharge the magnets on a flywheel I know that I must keep my magnet recharger at least 20 ft from the rest of my magnets or they will be pulled flat. The EMF(Electro Magnetic Force)put out by the electromagnets must be tremendous yet just a fraction of the EMP put out by a nuclear event. It did take me a while to figure this out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

What I am wondering is if a EMP will demagnitise the Model T magneto or just immobilzes parts like diodes etc. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Wouldn't the device have to have electrical potential to be effected?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

You folks need to get a copy of "The Effect of Nuclear Weapons" originally published about 1960. It will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

I believe the EMP would super charge the magnets and the T would run better than ever. Ole Henry Ford thought it all out with his buddy Edison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Would it be possible to create enough elf to wipe out the speakers in those cars that BOOM, BOOM, BOOM while I'm sitting next to it at a stoplight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

Auto-correct, emf becomes elf. I think it's time for some emp to straighten this computer's a_s out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

The EMP damage is caused by a number of volts across a finite distance. I don't know the exact numbers but I seem to remember estimates to be about 100 volts across a typical integrated circuit, say 0.050 inch. This kills unhardend integrated circuits but would not significantly effect the capacitor in the coil or change the magnetism in the magneto. I remember thinking when being told all this, that my 1967 VW would keep running until it ran out of gas. Today all gas pumps seem to be computer controlled, all the ICs will be dead...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

The EMP is like the nuclear blast itself. It depends on the individual power and how close you are to it. What might fry a model T at a hundred yards might not harm a computer at a hundred miles. Somewhere beyond the fried model T and the surviving computer, most electrical devices and electronics would fry, and the model T would drive merrily along. Whether or not an item is plugged in, grounded, or turned on and operating also makes a big difference. Another thing that makes a big difference, is orientation relative to the source as well as things that may offer shielding from the pulse. A later model T with an iron hogshead would likely fare better than an earlier T with an aluminum hogshead.
Drive carefully, and enjoy the glow. W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 08:43 am:

The M in EMP stands for magnetic. The magnetic pulse put out in a nuclear weapon designed for EMP would be incredible. The collapsing magnetic field in a T coil when the points open is relitivly weak and yet will produce 10,000 volts or so across the secondary. An EMP field might easily produce hundreds of times that.

So how would a T secondary react to a 100,000 or 1,000,000 volt pulse. It would literally fry.

Build a tightly sealed box of 1/2" plate steel and put your coils in it when your not using them ... and you might stand a chance! ;o)

PS Ditto the mag coils!

(Message edited by schuh on October 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 09:32 am:

I don't know about you but ME and CAT are getting ready.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

We'll all find out soon enough when Iran sends one of its missiles over that we helped them pay for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

From what I have heard about EMP, the Model T will be the least of our problems! For those who survive, it will be back to the stone age. The Amish have a better chance of survival than most of us.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Wayne is correct about the distance from the explosion. The law of inverse squares states that a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity. And why worry about a nuclear EMP? Every day we are subject to EMPs, from lightning, auroras and related solar storms, and even meteoric fireballs. There is even a chance that an EMP will recharge your magnets. September 1859 the great solar flare created a condition where telegraph operators (using electromagnetic designed equipment), were able to operate their communications without batteries because the solar flare was inducing electric impulses into the telegraphic wires. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Hal, I couldn't agree with you more. And a certain high-ranking government official is hell bent on making sure they have the ability also. Part of the "change" for the USA.

Norman, you're right about the Amish. God forbid this happens, because once the grid is knocked out, it isn't gonna be back on in a few hours. Or a few months. In one week after those who haven't committed suicide it'll be every man for himself. It'll make the lawlessness of the wild west look like a playground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Won't the metal coil box or the metal crankcase and hogshead act as a faraday cage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 09:20 am:

James it would help. But always buts... law of inverse squares is still a factor ... distance from the source of the EMP is a factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Don't forget you can also get EMP from a solar flare!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 09:44 am:

I'm going to go along with Norman. I do know that the military Hummers are - or were - all 6.2 GM Diesels with a slightly modified THM 400. The reason for this old technology was that both the engine and transmission use virtually no electronics and would be immune from an EMP. The 6.2 uses an old-style mechanical injector pump, but still has an AC generator which uses diodes for voltage rectification. My guess is that the charging system would be fried, but the Hummer would keep going until it ran out of electricity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:42 am:

This is where science meets fiction. What if ... the Model T was in existence in September 1859 when the great solar flare occurred. Would the induction coils operate without the magneto operating. Electricity being induced into the cars electrical system allowing the coils to buzz? allowing the sparkplugs to ignite the fuel.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration