Leather Seats and Unheated Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Leather Seats and Unheated Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Finally reupholstered the vintage bucket seats on my speedster with leather I gleaned from an old sofa on the curb. They have a nice worn look and I want to preserve them that way as best I can.

So ... what's the best thing I can do as I prepare to set the car away for a winter here in Rochester, NY? The garage is the same year as the car ... a small, unheated frame building with a concrete floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Burn the garage and build a new insulated work shop garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 04:23 am:

If you don't have fire insurance, you could try an inflatable Carcoon. Stopped the mildew I was getting on leather seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 08:20 am:

Put the car up on jacks to get the tires off the ground and take out all but 10 psi of the air in them, make sure the anti-freeze is set at a low enough temp to tolerate the coldest expected winter temps, grease and change oil prior to storage, I use mink oil to preserve my leather seats and keep them supple after cleaning, drain the carb, load the car up with dryer sheets to keep critters out, and cover with a breathable cover. Make sure the garage is adequately vented to prevent moisture build-up.

As for draining the gas tank: some guys drain it dry, I leave mine full of fresh premium fuel and stabilize it well. I guess that's a matter of choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Maybe one of the conservators at the George Eastman House would have an idea about the leather.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration