Lifters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lifters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a sellers on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Pulled the valves this weekend, they are the old
two part style and one shows signs of cracking on the under side of the head. but back to subject the lifters all have a cavity about 1/32 deep worn on the face where the valve stem rides, is this normal? Can the valves still be adjusted some how or do the lifters have to be replaced?
Thanks
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:02 am:

If you time the valves to open or close by piston travel you don't need to use a feeler gauge.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a sellers on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Will the standard replacement stainless valves have enough length on the stem to accommodate the wear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:41 am:

John,

I would replace the lifters, or at least reface them to remove the indent. Actually, I would use adjustable lifters. NOT the self locking ones!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

New stainless steel valves and adjustable lifters like Jerry said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

The cam shaft must be replaced as well. The lifters have classic signs of no lubrication. The camshaft was subject to the same wear.

The piston position method of valve adjustment makes the best of a set of damaged components. The resulting engine will lack power and have noisy clattering valves. A new camshaft and lifters is worth the price to avoid crummy results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Listen to the man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Royce,

The wear he refers to is where the lifter meets the valve stem. Not where the lifter wears against the cam lobe. This isn't to say that the cam isn't worn too, but I wouldn't categorically say the "cam shaft must be replaced".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

John, I've refaced the tips of the lifters as suggested above but if you plan to reuse the lifters, you want to check to see if there wear where the lifter stem rubs against the guide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Yes John, the wear you speak about is normal. I find these in lots of T engines and just go ahead and replace them. I use a 3 part adjustable style to replace the worn ones. If your lifters, (push rods) are worn like you say then the bore will also be worn and you will have to go with an over-sized lifters and ream the lifter bore. I don't know if this can be done without pulling the engine but it would be a good idea since the rest of the engine will show lots of wear that should be looked at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

I'm at this point with my motor also so are you using the 1.5" Chevy 350 exhaust valves, spring retainer and keepers? Are you grinding them 45*? Any other tips? PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration