Question about valve lifters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about valve lifters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

I need a factual answer to the question. What is the actual effect of wear in the bore of valve lifters? Not asking about wear so bad that the lifter can flip sideways, but under 40 thousands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Jim - It's like you read my mind! The thread entitled "lifters" made me think the same way,......like "IT'S JUST A MODEL T FORD FOR CRY'N OUT LOUD"! As far as engine performance is concerned, I don't think a "T" engine cares one hoot about a few thousands wear of the pushrod (lifter) sides or the bores that they run in! In fact, I did a valve job on a Model "T" a few years ago that turned out very well and produced a very sweet running engine, and the valve guides are actually quite worn. Not excessive mind you, but a lot of "perfectionists" would have reamed the guides and installed valves with oversized stems. And maybe I should have done that, but I'd much rather have the guides a bit loose than too tight, and with excellent valve faces and a good three-angle valve job with seats cut accurately with a Neway valve seat cutter, those valves seal just fine even with the somewhat worn guides. I did however make my own intake valve guide seals with 4 very light coil springs and a felt washer backed by steel flat washers to prevent excessive vacuum leaks thru' the worn intake valve guides. I think there are some places in a "T" engine where some wear really does not matter much and I think the pushrod (lifter) bores (and valve guides) are a couple of those places. As they say, "your mileage may vary",.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Jim - It's like you read my mind! The thread entitled "lifters" made me think the same way,......like "IT'S JUST A MODEL T FORD FOR CRY'N OUT LOUD"! As far as engine performance is concerned, I don't think a "T" engine cares one hoot about a few thousands wear of the pushrod (lifter) sides or the bores that they run in! In fact, I did a valve job on a Model "T" a few years ago that turned out very well and produced a very sweet running engine, and the valve guides are actually quite worn. Not excessive mind you, but a lot of "perfectionists" would have reamed the guides and installed valves with oversized stems. And maybe I should have done that, but I'd much rather have the guides a bit loose than too tight, and with excellent valve faces and a good three-angle valve job with seats cut accurately with a Neway valve seat cutter, those valves seal just fine even with the somewhat worn guides. I did however make my own intake valve guide seals with 4 very light coil springs and a felt washer backed by steel flat washers to prevent excessive vacuum leaks thru' the worn intake valve guides. I think there are some places in a "T" engine where some wear really does not matter much and I think the pushrod (lifter) bores (and valve guides) are a couple of those places. As they say, "your mileage may vary",.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Well, it happened again! Tried to post the above, and I waited and waited for a very long time and nothing happened, so I clicked on the "post message" box a second time, and then after another long wait, got the double post! Sorry,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

In triplicate, even !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Okay,.....so maybe I got impatient and clicked on the "send message" box a couple times! I think I created a monster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

Hi Steve,.....just got home from an almost 2-month M/H trip to Utah, Colorado, Wisconsin & Montana (not necessarily in that order) and maybe because I haven't been posting much for awhile, I seem to be having more than the usual amount of trouble! Hope your move went well, or, are you still working at it?

Sorry for cluttering up your thread Jim,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Did you say 40 thou?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Hey guys,....I kinda' messed up Jim's thread here, so if I bounce this back up to the top, how about some of you engine guys giving him your opinion on his question,.....thanx,......harold

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration